Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:

14 y/o dx-ed with E.coli UTI a week ago. She is on day 9 of Clavamox.

She definitely had improvement over the past week.

When I cleaned the litterbox from over night, it was clear she had gone 4 times and had a BM (clavamox has given her diarreha).

This morning she went at 8am, (after I had cleaned litterbox from last night).

Someone (I have 2 other cats besides her) went at 830-ish. Now, she is a small cat (6.5#s) and does have a small bladder. By the size of the clump, I would say this was her.

I do have a call into the vet.

Can clavamox stop only half way thru treatment?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Clavamox is a relatively heavy duty broad spectrum antibiotic. It is actually 2 abx, amoxicillin and clavulanate acid which when combined works a lot better than either individually. In people it's known under the trade name Augmentin. It is effective against the majority of common bugs that cause UTI's. I would be surprised if it just stopped working 1/2 way through unless doses were missed, even at that, in cats few of these bugs are resistant. If she has stones as well, her urinating may be due to irritation. But usually it's frequent, small amounts of urine, may be pinkish, possibly even just "dribbles" possibly every 5' to 15'. May be accompanied by the appearance of straining.
You might want to consider giving her some probiotics to replace the gut flora which is killed off by abx and causes the diarrhea. This often helps resove it within 2-3 days. Anyway hope she feels better, & let us know how she's doing. GL B

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clavamox is a relatively heavy duty broad spectrum antibiotic. It is actually 2 abx, amoxicillin and clavulanate acid which when combined works a lot better than either individually. In people it's known under the trade name Augmentin. It is effective against the majority of common bugs that cause UTI's. I would be surprised if it just stopped working 1/2 way through unless doses were missed, even at that, in cats few of these bugs are resistant. If she has stones as well, her urinating may be due to irritation. But usually it's frequent, small amounts of urine, may be pinkish, possibly even just "dribbles" possibly every 5' to 15'. May be accompanied by the appearance of straining.
You might want to consider giving her some probiotics to replace the gut flora which is killed off by abx and causes the diarrhea. This often helps resove it within 2-3 days. Anyway hope she feels better, & let us know how she's doing. GL B
Thanks. She had both a free catch urinalysis and a Cystocentesis. The only thing that showed up was E.Coli infection.

The vet said the same thing you did. She does have several hours inbetween when she goes, and she goes well for her small size. But her bladder could also be irritated.

Since she has been on the Clavamox, there has been no small amounts etc etc.

He said to finish the full 2 weeks of Clavamox (day 14 is this Sat). And watch her. And for sure, since she has been on Clavamox, she has done TONS better....

To be honest, Im just so very very frightened. Almost irrationally so.
She is drinking, eating fine, etc etc. Going ok (no signs of strainging) etc...

All these good signs and I am still just terrified...It makes no sense I know, other than I love her dearly. We have been best of bestest buddies for almost 14 years....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should add I have been faithful with the Clavamox. Every 12 hours. I know it's best to really try and stay consistent with that as it keeps the drugs more constant in their systems.

Thanks, Binkers. I read up on your previous posts and your professional background, and I found it very comforting in knowing your medical background.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts