Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cats on ground raw (for now) and I’m getting ready to make a freezer stash with organs I can add to it. One cat is old and thin but very tall so his ideal weight should probably be around 12 pounds. The other cat is young and lean but tiny so I would say 10-ish is her ideal. I’ve been working with 5 ounces a day for her and 6 for him but some days they don’t finish it and other days they want more.

So… If I were to make batches of organs to add to one meal on M/W/F, how much would that be? Do I take their 11 ounces of meat a day, multiply it by 7, take 10% of that and then figure out how to condense it into 3 meals? That’s where I’m lost. Also, would it be overload if they got their organs in larger percentages fewer times a week? I thought I might try to work on the bones for the other meal those days.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hi, Cake.

I have a spreadsheet that makes all these calculations for you. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Technically, you could feed one or two very large organ meals a week, but realistically, you can't feed more than the cats can "handle", as "too much" organ can sometimes cause upset tummies.

I feed four organ meals a week, two liver and two a mix of kidney, etc.

Regards.

AC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great. Thanks!

I am going to do 5 meals with organs, mostly because it would be easier to remember weekdays/weekends versus MWF.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The spreadsheet was very helpful, Auntie Crazy. Thank you again.

After spending a couple hours chopping and weighting such tiny portions, do you think I could put equal amounts in a food processor, mix it all up and weigh the pureed amount? I have 3 young children who don’t often leave me alone for more than a few minutes so that would be a great time saver.

·
Banned
952 Posts
How you serve it after you've weighed it is really a non-issue, so, yes, sure, you could.... keeping in mind that the more a meat is "processed", the more the nutrient content is degraded.

Can't tell you by how much, though, 'cause we simply don't know (this is why folks who feed ground often supplement).

AC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about beef heart? I have a whole bunch of that and only one cat that seems to tolerate any kind of beef. Since it’s both a muscle and an organ, what proportions do I feet it in?

I was hoping to give it to the beef eating cat as an entire meal a couple times a week.

·
Banned
952 Posts
What about beef heart? I have a whole bunch of that and only one cat that seems to tolerate any kind of beef. Since it’s both a muscle and an organ, what proportions do I feet it in?

I was hoping to give it to the beef eating cat as an entire meal a couple times a week.
Heart, for raw-feeding purposes, is considered muscle meat, so go ahead with your plan, Cake. In fact, that's exactly how I feed it - as breakfast three times a week (one turkey, one duck, one chicken).

AC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next question. :D

If I feed the heart as a meal, do I still add the daily requirement of organs? I’m currently using beef kidney and chicken liver.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What about intestines?

I haven't seen any of those other organs mentioned, but I can probably get kidneys. I KNOW I can definitely get intestines.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Intestines count as meat! Make sure they're not cleaned though, cleaned isn't very good for them as it may have been bleached.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any hints on how to get a cat to eat the organs? I'm still working on my chopped up stash of kidney and liver but all three cats tend to ignore the kidney. The liver is a little easier to mix in but they'll avoid that if possible, too.

I'm about ready to throw up my hands and just get the whole, course ground meats from Hare Today so I don't have to mess with it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts