Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiancé is having a hard time finding food that I recommend and he came across this food at a pet store. I know this probably won't be the best food but it doesn't look terrible. Any thoughts?

It's called Oven Baked Tradition. This is the chicken cat food formula:

"Fresh deboned chicken, chicken meal, ground pearled barley, ground brown rice, fresh chicken liver, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, pumpkin puree, brewer’s yeast, fresh whitefish, herring meal, dried egg product, ground whole flaxseed, herring oil, inulin (prebiotic), yucca schidigera extract, fresh cranberries, fresh whole blueberries, fresh whole sweet potato, fresh whole carrots, fresh whole apples, fresh spinach, DL-methionine, lecithin, dried pineapple, choline chloride, potassium chloride, taurine, green tea extract (catechin), parsley, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus lactis, lactobacillus casei, vitamins and minerals [ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, niacin, vitamin E supplement, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, vitamin A, selenium, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, vitamin D3, vitamin K, calcium iodate], natural flavor, rosemary extract. (May contain trace amounts of peanut)."

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
For the category of food that it fits in (kibble with grains)...it has nice quality ingredients, but the protein is really on the low side...so it's really carb heavy.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the category of food that it fits in (kibble with grains)...it has nice quality ingredients, but the protein is really on the low side...so it's really carb heavy.
Would you say it's better than Purina and such?

He goes to a pet store but they have none of the brands that I see recommended here.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can order the food. This website here seems to have them for a decent price:

All Natural Healthy Cat Food

From what I've seen, they sometimes have sales, such as selling a 24 case of 13oz canned cat food for a quite reasonable price.

For the food your fiance bought, I'm not really sure, since I feed my kitten canned only.
That store ships to the US only. He wants to buy local. I have a good online supplier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Compared to Purina, it's ok. Both have the same level of protein... 30%. The ingredient list is not terrible, but not great either.
Compared to grain free foods, it's not great. My grain free food, Go Fit and Free, has 48% protein, for example, Orijen has 42%.

This is the ingredient list for my cats food. The first 7 ingredients are all meats:
Chicken meal, de-boned chicken, de-boned turkey, duck meal, turkey meal, salmon meal, de-boned trout, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural fish flavour, peas, potatoes, whole dried egg, potato flour, tapioca, de-boned salmon, de-boned duck, salmon oil, pumpkin, apples, carrots, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, cottage cheese, alfalfa, sweet potatoes, blackberries, papayas, pineapple, phosphoric acid, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, taurine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation product, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, inositol, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, beta-carotene, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, calcium iodate, ferrous sulphate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite), yucca schidigera extract, yeast extract, dried rosemary.

I'm not saying that my food, or any food is "the best," but there are definitely some good grain free alternatives out there worth looking in to, depending how you want to feed your cat(s) :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Well, that's the problem. He can't find any of the brands that I can recommend. My cat eats a grain-free food but it's not sold there. Nor is Wellness, Merrick, Evo, etc.

I just looked at the food I'm feeding my kitty and the protein is only 30% too and it's grain-free. I wonder if I should change...

·
Registered
26 Posts
K, I'm in Canada, and I can get Go Fit and Free, Orijen/Acana, Blue Buffalo, Evo, and Wellness, just off the top of my head... I saw that you mentioned him not being able to find Wellness or Evo. Where is he trying to buy, and what brand?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go retailers in QC:
Alim. Anim. Letourneau
4500, Boul. Henri Bourassa, Charlesbourg, QC
Telephone: (418) 627-0076
Distribution C.C.B.
1051 Rang 4 est, St-Neree, QC
Telephone: (418) 243-2729
L'Art des Animaux
2924 1 ere Avenue, Quebec, QC