Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently adopted a 12 week old kitten. At night she tries to attack my husband and I’s feet and wants to cuddle our faces. It really makes it hard for us to sleep. We live in a small apartment and set the living room up for her with blankets, her litter box, and her food and water. Is it ok for us to shut our bedroom door at night to sleep while she stays in the living room?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes, that's perfectly fine as long as there's nothing in there that could be a threat. She may meow to come in or scratch the door but she may not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's okay to keep her out if you have to, but she's still a baby in a new situation and needs comfort. There are steps you could take to get her used to sleeping in your bedroom without driving you crazy.

Set up a small cat bed with a self-heating pad close to your bed where she can see you. Give her treats in that bed to get her used to it and lots of pets and praise when she's in it. Give her a favorite toy or stuffed animal to snuggle with. Rub your and your hubby;s scent on it first.

Put a small litter box and a bowl of water (away from each other) in your bedroom. I know I know... small room here too. And who wants a litterbox in the bedroom? gak! But it worked so I did it. Set up a second litter box and water out of the bedroom so she has a choice where to go. When she's comfortable going in and out of the bedroom, remove the box in your room.

Kittens have a ton of energy they need to burn off so you could have several play sessions during the day and one right before you go to bed, which can help tire her out and settle down for the night.

Yes, it's a lot of work and may take some time, but you'll have a less anxious cat and a much better night's sleep in the long-run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First week my cat (around 1 year old rescued from the streets), she wanted to sleep on our bedroom. 1st night she slept on our bed. But my wife had no rest. 2nd night I tried to make her sleep on her bed that I moved next to me and put my hand on the bed so that I would be touching her everytime she wanted to be touched. It didn't work and ended up sleeping 2nd and 3rd nights on the living room sofa with her. 4th night slept half on the sofa with her and half left her alone in the living room and went to bed, closed the door.
From then on, we always sleep with the door closed. In the mornings she seems to be waiting for me outside. On weekends she lightly scratches the door (wants breakfast). But otherwise, as she felt well in our house, she was OK with having the full house except the sleeping rooms to herself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts