Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use chicken stock to mix with the canned food to make soup for my cats.Can I use it?In recipes they always cook it but it's with meat so I guess that's why.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would imagine that home made chicken stock would be okay. Wouldn't give a whole lot because it would probably contain a good amount of fat. Can stock might not be a good idea. Generally canned stock contains a lot of salt, sugar and other ingredients not normally found in pet foods.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
629 Posts
Store bought chicken broth contains onion powder and lots of sodium which is toxic to cats. I wish there was something I could put in my cats canned food to make it more palatable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My mother makes homemade broth by boiling a whole chicken in water. Then you know there isn't any additives/preservatives to make it *last longer*. I bet that would be the best way to use broth if you want to add it like that. That is what I do, but I use the boiled chicken along with it :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot about this topic I made.
I'm making stock by putting a piece of chicken in water and boiling it :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Be sure to keep in mind that canned chicken broth has onion powder in it and onions are toxic to cats. You will actually have to boil the chicken yourself in order for it to be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts