Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is sick and I can't take her to her regular vet till next Friday night, there is a 24 hour emergency facility I can take her to, but I'm probably over reacting. I am soooo worried though!

She is 13 years old female siamese. She's always been very small, her normal (but always skinny) adult weight has ranged between 5 to 7 lbs. 7 lbs is healthy for her, but she's been 5 lbs and healthy before. She is now barely 4 lbs. (or 3.8 lbs it's hard to weight her at home). She is skin and bones-a walking skeleton. She's been eating up till today-at least I thought she's been eating good-I've been feeding her tuna for the past week or so to try to get her to eat more-today she ate a little of it and won't eat more. It is hard to tell though because I also have two other cats that finish off whatever she doesn't eat. What worried me even more is that she doesn't seem to be drinking either! I've been watching her all day and trying to get her to drink but all she does is stick her nose in the water, then licks her nose-or sneezes. She isn't sneezing or coughing otherwise, but her eyes are running, and she is squinting. She also seems unstable or weak on her feet. She is definitely sick, I just can't tell how sick or what's wrong with her. She has been getting skinnier over the past month or so, but I only realize this in retrospect, I didn't realize there was anything wrong until this week. She has also started to pee on the kitchen floor. I thought maybe she didn't want to go downstairs to the litter box because of the dog - although that didn't bother her for the past year. I got another cat box for the kitchen but she still won't go in it, she goes right next to it and pees on the floor anyway. She is also constipated, at least when I put her in the box she tried to go but couldn't. She is up to date on her shots and she's an indoor cat, and so are the other two healthy cats in the house. She was tested for leukema when she was I can't understand what could be wrong, she's only 13, she can't be dying yet, can she? She just isn't acting right, can't seem to avoid water, even though she doesn't like it, and can't seem to drink-or changes her mind-I don't know...

Should I take her to the emergency clinic or is this something that can wait till Friday? I would rather her regular vet saw her, but not if it's too late by then! Am I over reacting? I just can't tell if this is really serious or if she's just feeling bad because of something like a cold....

Please let me know what you think,
Rita

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hmm....I definitely wouldn't wait until next friday. I'm not sure if I would wait until monday. The "unsteadiness and weak on her feet" really worries me :( At the very least she may need some fluids. There can be any number of things going on at her age. Go with your gut instinct. You know your kitty better than anyone else. If you feel there is really something wrong, you are probably correct.

I'll be thinking of you and your kitty. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the reply. I'm just so worried. There is something definitely wrong with her. I am taking her to the 24 hr clinic first thing tomorrow. I don't think there's anyplace else open on a Sunday. she just ate and although she still wouldn't drink any water, she did drink some beef broth. i put her in her litter box and she tried to go again, but still she couldn't. maybe they can give her something. I'm also suspecting her eyesight is going. i really didn't think of her as an old cat until now. I have a male cat about 6 months older than her... and he is as healthy as could be (except for a missing tooth).

Hopefully the vet will tell me it's something simple to treat tomorrow. I hope it's not just old age, I'm not ready to lose her yet! :(

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ok she isn't drinking? Sounds like a kidney failure or a bad UTI.. Or worse.. But I haven't really gone through it, only read, so I could be wrong..

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'd be concerned about a urinary tract infection or struvite crystals. I'm glad she's going to the vet right away. It could be quite serious. Keep us posted, alright? Definitely don't wait. Go to the emergency clinic. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's dying

I took her to the emergency animal hospital, and they took x-rays and found out she has a cancerous lumb in her belly and that the cancer has spread throughout her body. There's nothing they could do. They said she has only days maybe a week or so left. They suggested euthenasia but I am not ready to let her go just yet. She is uncomfortable, but I don't think she's really in pain. They gaandve her some fluid injection under her skin that her body should absorb. I got her $50 worth of people and cat food and toys. She won't touch the toys, but she is eating very well, she likes the Fancy Feast cat food a lot! I even saw her drinking a little bit after she finished off a whole can by herself! So she's not doing THAT bad, not yet anyway. I have not cancelled her regular vet's appointment, I want to wait and see. If I see her suffer, then I can always take her back and end her pain. But I don't think it's necessary just yet. If I get just a few more days to spoil her I will feel better. She is by far my favorite cat out of the three. It is so sudden, I didn't even consider her old, and now she is dying! I don't know if it would have been possible to catch this earlier, but I will be paying much closer attention to the male that is older than her so maybe we could catch something like this in time to do something. In the meantime I am going to try to say good bye to her over the next few days. I will know when it is time and I will take her, I won't let her suffer. But it is really, really hard, I wish she could die at home with me instead of in a hospital. But it can't be that way, she would suffer too much. She is not looking so bad now, I wonder if there's a possibility or a mistake? But they should a bunch of lumps in her x-ray so I suppose that couldn't be mistaken. I didn't expect this day to come so soon, siamese are supposed to be long lived, I thought they would be around 18 to 20 when they died. She is only 13. It just seems too soon.
:cry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She got much worse. She started bleeding out of her rectum and it got worse and worse, it progressed horribly fast over just a few minutes-maybe an hour. She lost a lot of blood and she became too weak to even purr. So I decided it is time, I didn't want her to suffer anymore. We took her back to the hospital and said good bye to her. I wish I had a few more days with her, but I was afraid to have her in pain for hours tomorrow while I was at work. And at the rate she was bleeding she probably wouldn't have made it till morning anyway. I've never seen anything progress so quickly. Two days ago I thought she was fine, she just needed to eat a little more. Yesterday I realized she was sick, maybe very sick. And today she is gone...What a horrible disease cancer is to make an animal deteriorate so quickly. I can't even figure out when it could have started. Maybe a month ago when I noticed her fur getting "ratty" looking. Maybe longer-I just didn't see any signs. Anyway, she's not suffering anymore, where ever she may be, she must be happier now. :cry:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oh Rita, I'm so, so sorry :( Cancer is such an evil disease! I lost a cat at age 10 to it so I know how you are feeling. Please don't beat yourself up. Cats are master at hiding illness. Just try to think of the 13 wonderful years you had with her and all the happy times. I know it is very difficult to comprehend and trust me you will feel worse before you feel better. Hang in there and just know you gave her as wonderful a life as you could. We are here for you and understand your pain! ((HUGS))

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I too am very sorry to read of your loss. You did the absolute best you could, and made the right decision to help her pass even though it meant losing your precious companion sooner than you wanted. May time help heal some of your pain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your kind words, I feel better knowing there are others who understand. It is difficult to deal with this loss, I had no idea I would miss her so much.We had a special bond that most people just don't understand.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm terribly sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing! Keep your chin up and you'll know she's in a better place with her pain gone

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Rita, I'm so sorry. Cancer is an insidious disease. It's understandable that you didn't notice a change. You saw how fast she got worse yesterday and you had done everything you could for her. The two of you gave each other 13 years of love. Of course you are feeling heartbreak! She was a family member, and you loved her. I pray that your pain will lessen. She will always live in your heart, and I believe that you will be together again some day. God bless.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You'll be in my thoughts Rita. You are right, she is not suffering anymore, and I bet she is having fun with all of the other kitties at the bridge. I hope your pain goes away soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh i feel so sad reading this story and I am very sorry for you Rita. :(

I keep picturing my own girl in the same situation and it hurts just thinking about something like that happening. You did the right thing by her and I am sure she appreiciates how much you care from kitty heaven.

*big virtual hugs across the ocean*

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I'm so sorry about your cat. 13 yrs is a long time, though not as long as 18 but hey, your cat had a great life with you and your family. <<))

1 - 16 of 16 Posts