Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have family ( 2 guests)coming from another country and they are going to be staying at our house for a little until they find a place to stay. Of course throughout their stay, we will be having guests coming in and out to visit them since it has been so long. I was wondering how this will affect my cat. He is not big on guests and behaves well and just stays in the room and looks out the window and as soon as they leave, he runs out. I was wondering if the new temporary guests staying will stress him out? or do they adjust easily? I have never had people stay at our house so its new to my cat. I dont want him to feel stressed. I will make sure to spoil him!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I imagine it depends on the cat. However, when my cats were younger, neither of them liked visitors. Muffs would run and hide, and Abby would hiss! Then, my daughter and her boyfriend came to stay with me for a few weeks over the Christmas holidays. Within a few days, both Muffs and Abby got used to having them around. Muffs stopped hiding and Abby stopped hissing, and both cats started to play with my daughter and her boyfriend. In addition, after my daughter and her boyfriend left to go home, I found that both cats reacted much better whenever other visitors came by. So, all in all, having visitors at the house for a few weeks was a good thing for my cats. I hope you have the same experience!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I agree with Susan, I think it depends on the cats AND on the visitors. If it's a good experience for kitty it may well learn to enjoy company more.

Both my cats are super social so they have no trouble with company, the seem to think it means that I brought in additional cat affection staff just for their benefit.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Krissy (MowMow) makes a good point about it also depending on the visitors. My daughter and her boyfriend (who own a cat and are familiar with cats) never tried to force themselves on Muffs and Abby. They waited for the cats to come to them, and they allowed the cats to sniffs their hands before trying to touch them. So, you might give your visitors a few pointers on how to best interact with your cat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats so good to know! I know they like cats so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for all the responses! I just try to make my cat comfy at all times :) Late at nights he goes to my parent's bedroom and bugs my dad for a treat so i'll be curious to see what he will do when our guests come since they will be in that room. He will go in and see he is gone and look for him in the other rooms. lol i know i sound over protective but its my little baby :)

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Yes he may be somewhat stressed, but it depends on how outgoing your cat is. You can likely make him more social if you get some catnip and have your guests rub it on his stuffed toys or scratching post, offer the cat treats, and try to engage play with him with a fishing-pole type of toy.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Teq used to be very shy until I met my Boyfriend, and we have company over A LOT. Now Teq will come up and say hello to everyone that comes in the door, instead of running away to hide. The trick is to ensure your guests don't bombard your kitty with attention. Let your cat make the first move :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts