Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume they can, like squirrels, rats, quail, etc. - like just take the guts out and hand it over? It's just a pita to skin and clean such small animals without the right tools, but I don't mind at all if it's better for them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant more along the lines of their bladder, colon, stomach contents etc. stuff I wouldn't buy to feed them separately. I leave the heart/lungs/liver/kidneys etc when I clean the little critters.

But if there's no way that could harm or cause them to not want it, I'll leave it be.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I would give it to them whole, they'll eat the parts they like. Most learn to leave the gallbladder alone, but eat most everthing else, even fur, but usually not long wing or tail feathers. Back many years when I had a few indoor-outdoor cats where I lived adjacent to a farmer's fields they ate most of the prey they caught, tho one cat that especially liked catching snakes, didn't eat them. Often all that was left of a mouse or vole were its feet and gallbladders, one of my cats especially liked baby bunnies, but only ate their heads. Never had a cat get sick from eating wildlife.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I guess I'm just over worrisome about them getting ill especially from wild animals, I think having raccoons made me paranoid! lol

Thanks again. I'll split a squirrel for a boys and update how it goes, one of them is really weird about new things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, little Elliot especially enjoyed himself. The other boy I handed a leg and a mullet(fish) and he was happy, but Elliot really went to town on that squirrel. The old Calico wants nothing to do with squirrels if they're dead - so she got chicken, turkey, and pork. While a new guy sat by politely and watched until they were good and done. He's a little tom who's head is bigger than the rest of him, really cute and surprisingly okay with mine.

Don't take his hissy face seriously. He was hissing at the squirrel a lot too- I did have to open it for him this time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts