Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two cats--Winston, 1.5 years, and Orville, 9 months. Winston has arthritis in his knees and has to be given a glucosamine supplement every day. The one I give him is in the form of a treat. I've found it impossible to give Winston his supplement without hurting Orville's feelings, so every morning I give Winston his glucosamine treat and I also give Orville a regular Whiskas treat.

Here's my concern: Orville has REALLY stinky poop that is often pretty messy, while this is not the case with Winston. Can giving a cat cheap kitty treats every day (the ones I give Orville are a dollar a package) cause digestive problems like this? If that's the case, how do I go about giving Winston his supplement every morning without Orville feeling like he's being left out?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I would upgrade the treat and see if that makes a difference. It did for my cats. I used to feed them temptations and dry kibble and their poops were stinky. I no longer feed them kibble and upgraded to a freeze dried treat by Drs. Foster and Smith. Now there more stinky poops!

·
Registered
254 Posts
A couple a day I imagine are fine. My cat got into an entire bag once I left on the counter. That was not so good - vomit everywhere. Yes. Some treats can cause GI upset.
Maybe give Orville catnip or a toy during that time?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I give Paizly her meds at meal time, and feed her last. That way, everybody else is already chowing down on canned food, and don't bother her bowl.

I have been giving canned food as her treat/reward for the meds - and of course everybody else got some too. Though I think I will transition their diet to all canned and no kibble. Still, I'll feed Paizly last, so everybody else will have their fill and not want to eat her portion (at least that's how it's worked so far)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yup it seemed Pedro's tummy wasn't a fan of the treats I had (MediCal brand which I've long since learned about) so I changed to another brand. It seems the same things that make regular food icky for tummies also upsets tummies if it is in a treat form.

Have you seen PetKelp? They have a glucosamine formula. And it's just a powder to sprinkle on regular food. A friend of mine uses the omega 3 formula because one of her kitties seems to have skin itchies and it's cleared that up. Next time she orders I'm going to start my two on the glucosamine version because Apple seems to have some strange hip & shoulder arrangements so I'm concerned about arthritis when she gets older. And Pedro will get it just because it's easier to give to both of them and provides nutrients, etc.

Just thought I'd mention that option because that would allow you to eliminate that particular treat time. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yep! Both my girls have stinky bums if they eat too many treats. Evie once opened the cupboard and ate three full bags of treats. You can imagine what I returned home to!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts