Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the site and my cat Bob has been diagnosed with cancer in his mouth. I noticed a couple months ago that Bob was drooling a bit when I was petting him but over time the drooling got worse. I checked his mouth the best I could and saw a small dark spot on his gums. I figured he had an abscessed tooth so made a vet appointment. On February 13th (the day before Bobs 5th birthday) the vet looked at the spot I was talking about and thought nothing of it but then opened his mouth wide (Bob would never allow me to open his mouth) and there it was, a huge tumour under his tongue. My face dropped , how did I miss this. I was thinking it was a huge abscess but when the vet tried to drain it with a needle nothing came out, it is a solid mass. The few cells the vet did get he said didn’t look good and he suspects melanoma. Waiting on more tests but the vet said if it’s what he suspects even with surgery he may live one year and lose half his bottom jaw. Has anyone’s cat had this ? Apparently it’s very aggressive form of cancer. I feel so helpless and not sure of what’s to come. Any information is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this. You have to know it's not your fault, my cats would never let me inspect their mouths, either. If it is cancer, even though Bob is so young, I wouldn't put him through surgery or treatment. If I knew Cali's cancer would come back, even more aggressively, a year later, I would have never put her through amputating her leg to save her life. I know personally how helpless you feel. Bob is so cute and adorable and I'm sure has become part of your heart, but sometimes the hardest decision is the best one for our cats.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I agree with Marie. How would he cope with life after such a surgery? Tubes? Just "No", in my book. Yes, sometimes they have troubles that take them way too early... I've been down that road and it really is distressing. That one word, "aggressive", is the big important one.

Much sympathy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Marie and Eldercat, it’s been a tough few days. Watching him try to eat and drink breaks my heart l, so your right with him having a surgery that he loses half his jaw would be no way to live either. He is a huge part of our family and one of the suckiest sweetest cats we have had. Thinking maybe our best option is to keep an eye on how he is feeling, eating and sleeping and when the time comes where I see he is in pain I will have the vet put him to sleep so he doesn’t suffer longer then needed :(. This is our last cat as I can’t do this again, the cat before him had diabetes and that didn’t end well either after months of giving needles and doing all we could to regulate his insulin. For now lots of snuggles and kisses!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yes, good plan to watch carefully. Remember that they are "programmed" to NOT SHOW PAIN... because then, in the wild, they become prey for some other creature. So you must be very aware of how things go.

I hear you about "our last cat"... but you may find yourself backtracking one of these days. ;) When they go they leave such an empty space in heart and home, it begs to be filled with - maybe another cat.

Also, you are not responsible for this cancer. It would have happened anyway, and you've given Bob a loving home (and the diabetic cat before him) where he was cared for and noticed... and allowed to go peacefully when things went too wrong. There may be another who needs you. Please do not close your heart forever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts