Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone heard of this stuff?

What do you all think? Major red flag, I see it doesn't have taurine. If I buy it, it would be in rotation with two other foods that have the Taurine added (since I rotate brands/flavors a month).

Duck:
Ground Duck, Sweet Potatoes, Water Sufficient for Processing, Carrageenan Gum, Cassia Gum.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 9.0 % min. Crude Fiber 3.0 % max.
Crude Fat 11.0 % min. Moisture 74 % max.
ME = 599 kcal / can.

Beaver:
Ground Beaver, Water Sufficient for Processing, Carrageenan gum, Cassia Gum.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 13.0 % min. Crude Fiber 3.5 % max.
Crude Fat 6.0 % min. Moisture 76 % max.
ME = 768 kcal / can.
Fatty Acid Analysis
Oleic 20.0 % min. Linoleic (omega 3) 12.0 % min.
Linoleic (Omega 6) 36.0 % min. Palmetic 15 % min.

Venison:
Venison Tripe, Ground Venison, Water Sufficient for Processing, Pea Flour, Carrageenan Gum, Cassia Gum.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 9.5 % min. Crude Fiber 5.0 % max.
Crude Fat 5.0 % min. Moisture 80 % max.
ME = 290 kcal / can.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I like that they have beaver!! That's pretty awesome. You can always just add taurine yourself.. which apparently is important when feeding 100% canned diet because of the high temps burning off the taurine when closing the cans. Taurine is available at most health food stores for people in capsules.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have seen taurine listed on their dry.. but then they did have a recall on their dried a few years back.

I would just add taurine, you really can't over do it since they pass it daily. I tend to mix in a vitamin supplement anyways for the taurine. or if you do partial raw, use it with the high taurine muscle?

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Analysis looked ok? I'm kind of excited. It's 2.99 for 13 oz can of the beaver and venison and 3.29 for the Duck.

It's nice to find something new that might be edible for them. Our rotation is pretty limited and I get frustrated. :p

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Holy cow! I could never afford that. With my luck, my girls would love it. :grin:

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
I met a Canine Caviar rep at a consumer pet show last fall. He said they didn't need to add taurine because their process did not destroy it. He went on to talk about how the food helps prevent cancer...when I poked at how they could possibly claim something so generic he didn't have much to back him up. The conversation was kind of smarmy and snake oil salesman-like to me.

Not saying it's a bad food, just think they're overstepping with some of their claims.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'd go for it. I know how you feel having such limited foods to feed! I occassionally feed dog food too (only ever one of their three meals a day if they are having it), it's the only way I've found duck meat in pet food over here!

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Another new one is a brand called Great Life by Doctor's Finest. I wrote to them to ask them to send me their vitamin and mineral details and they went ahead and added it to their website.
:wink I didn't get past the intro page. It looks like they have a salmon and a chicken? I don't feed my guys fish and I have one allergic to chicken/poultry. I didn't read any further.

The grain free, fish free, chicken free and turkey free is what gives me trouble. I'm totally unreasonable. I was all that in a canned food that is UNDER 50.00 for a 24 case.

Wait: I think I was just looking at their dry. I see they have a beef canned. I'll look into this further. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts