Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our 6 year old male cat just had a UTI and we switched him to canned food, we were giving him half a can and some kibble everyday but now we have cut out the kibble and giving him a full can everyday.

Since then he has went 48 hours without having a bowel movement so we took him to the vet, he felt him and found a hard piece of stool. He gave us some hairball preparation and told us to give him some canned pumpkin as well (not pie filing) which we did. The next 2 days he had bowel movements but last night he didn't have one again.

He still has his appetite, and still wants to run around and play.

How often should cats that are on a strictly canned food diet have bowel movements?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I kind of feel silly now, I wonder if I have been mistaking pee as loose runny poop and he has been going. He just used the litter box and there was a clump that was a bit darker then the other pee.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey, you are a concerned cat parent. You are forgiven. It may take his system a few days to adjust to the all canned diet and stop passing liquid stools. Most of my cats pass stool daily.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My cats skip a day every now and then since I have had them on quality canned food. Does he seem out of sorts at all?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

My cats skip a day every now and then since I have had them on quality canned food. Does he seem out of sorts at all?
That is good to know incase he does skip a day. He seems like his usual self and he has been eating Wellness Grain Free canned food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts