Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently split a 3 ounce can of wet food between my two cats every other day. This means they get wet food 3-4 times per week. I've read lots of articles, info, etc that says they should get more wet food.

I would love to feed them one 3 ounce can a day to split. But, here's my dilemma. Wet food costs so much that to feed them a high quality can every day would cost me around me $24 a month. I feed them Natural Balance dry food which is pretty costly.

I'm wondering if I should keep them on a high quality canned food every other day, or feed them a cheaper canned food (Fancy Feast, Sophistacat, etc). every day. I do not plan on switching their dry food for the next several months.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The small cans seems to be more pricey. Maybe you can find a brand that comes in large cans (12 -14oz.) and just refigerate it and use it for several days. A 12oz. can would probably cost a little over a dollar and would last about 4 days if you feed 3oz. per day. I buy the large cans and store the leftovers in the fridge in a sandwich bag. My cats don't like it cold so I just add a bit of warm water to it or heat it in the microwave for about 10 secs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are you looking for a certain brand? If not, Nutro Natural Choice comes in 12.5 oz cans. You can probably find them at Petsmart or Petco. I'm not sure what you have available in your area but Wellness, Innova & Eagle Pack also come in large cans. I pay about $1.10 for a 13.2 oz. can of Innova or $.89 for a 5.5 oz can so I definately save by buying the large cans.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ahh :( I just bought a 24 pack of 5.5 oz innova, they didn't have the larger size. They were $0.89 each. Anyone know of some good internet stores where you still come out ahead after shipping?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
This may seem a little off-topic but summer's post made me think of an important point when ordering anything off the internet.

If you don't pay taxes on an item you ordered off the internet, you may still have to pay a "use tax." On the Ohio State Income Tax form, there is a worksheet you have to fill out where you document anything you didn't pay sales tax on. Then you figure out using your county's sales tax rate how much you have to pay for each item.

I know Washington doesn't have a state income tax, but other states that do might also have this use tax. If your state does, keep your receipts from the items you buy online to be sure you fill out your tax forms correctly. The use tax does not apply on any item where you paid sales tax, even if its lower than the county in which you reside.

·
Registered
238 Posts
TAsunder said:
Ahh :( I just bought a 24 pack of 5.5 oz innova, they didn't have the larger size. They were $0.89 each. Anyone know of some good internet stores where you still come out ahead after shipping?
The store you purchased them at would probably special order you the large cans if you ask them to. :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Only $0.89 for 5.5 oz of canned Innova?!? Lucky ducks, the petshop up the street carries Innova canned, but only in the small size and at a price of $1.06 per can! :shock: I was going to buy them a few cans but I just don't think we can afford to feed it regularly...bummer. At any rate, my cats like Natural Balance and Nutro canned. The price isn't too bad, $.075 or so a can, and it takes my cats 2 days to eat one can. I'll have to look into buying bigger cans tho, I wish we had more variety available here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh my gosh, I thought I had the worst prices with my ritzy Rittenhouse Square pet shop!!! Do you mean $1.09 for the 3 oz size of Innova?? Or 5.5 oz.... that would be slightly less crazy!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I use Petfood Direct. They have pretty good prices, and they ship according to package weight and destination. If you do a google search for "petfood direct coupon codes" you can find codes that you can enter at the end of your checkout to get a percentage off. I ordered 24 cans of Felidae once and the total was 22 dollars, that includes shipping which was about 4.00, and the 20% discount coupon I found.

Also, another great tool is Froogle.com

You enter a description of an item you want to buy/find, (example: Felidae canned) and it lists all the websites you can find that item on, and you can compare prices easily. I love Froogle. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you don't pay taxes on an item you ordered off the internet, you may still have to pay a "use tax." On the Ohio State Income Tax form, there is a worksheet you have to fill out where you document anything you didn't pay sales tax on. Then you figure out using your county's sales tax rate how much you have to pay for each item.
Thanks Annissa for pointing that out, Yes though WA does not have state income tax, we do pay sales tax and I will find out if I have to pay "use tax" or not.

Summer

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's $1.06 for the 5.5 oz can...and you know the funny thing? I can get the 13.5oz cans of Innova dog at the same shop at the same price! Oh well, I might cave in and get them a can or two to try anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts