Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having successfully transitioned my new girl over to canned, I'm now trying to figure out what to feed her and just making myself confused. Looking at some of the better brands that might be available locally (Innova/Evo for example), they seem to be uniformly lower in protein and higher in fat. Trying to fit the food to the article at catinfo.org stating:

The composition of a feline diet is important because cats are designed to eat a high protein (~50% of calories, or more), moderate fat (~40% of calories or less), and very low carbohydrate (well below 10% of calories) diet.

Most of the Innova foods on the comparison chart are 26-39 percent protein, 47-71 percent fat and 0-15 percent carb. I know their ingredients elevates their desirability, but do I need to mix it with another food, for example, to up the protein/lower the fat given daily?

Also, how much is enough food for a 6 lb 13 oz cat? (I think she could stand to gain a wee bit). Do I figure on 20 cals a lb? 30 calories a lb? Or just figure a can a day?

I've been reading old posts, but I'm still a wee bit confused (and need to go shopping!).

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
You are doing what I have done, and are suffering from paralysis by analysis :) Buy a good quality canned cat food and, at 6 LBS 13 OZ, let her eat as much as she wants. Worry about over feeding if she starts to get fat :)

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Agreed...don't over analyze. Buy a variety of good foods (EVO, Wellness, Nature's Variety, Go, Weruva, Tiki Cat, etc.) and since you want to put some weight on her I'd start with offering one can per day split into 3 meals.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I don't remember how old you said she was, if she is a young cat (under a year) I would agree let her eat what she wants in a short period of time. Say 10 -20 minutes and then pick up the food. Repeat 3 or 4 times a day.

If she's over a year I would just pick a variety of good quality foods and give her 1 can per day. If she looses weight then give her a little more... if she gains weight then give her a little less. You can use a baby scale to weight her if you want to be really watchful.

Personally, as long as my guys are getting good quality and they are healthy I don't obsess over the % of fat/protein. I do try to be a little more careful with carbs but I'm not going to stress out too much.

There's another benefit feeding a variety some days they'll get more protein less fat other days it will be more fat less carb...etc.

ETA: :p Yeah, basically what Doodlebug said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts