Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I looked at the can of Merrick BG chicken today, I noticed that the label says "feed an adult cat one can (5.5oz) per 6 lbs body weight daily." Does this mean that 12 lbs cat should or it is okay to eat 2 cans? I was wodnering if linear math equation works like this on this matter. I appreciate if somebody with brain can help me with this dumb question. Thank you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention.... of course I am aware that the amount of feeding depends on many factors such as activitiy level, medical condition, age, etc. Just wondered if my 12 lbs Tora is okay to eat 2 cans a day...?!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, MowMow again for your reply :) I read the thread and that was what I was thinking; I thought one can per day is good amount. But, when I read the label, I was puzzled.... Sorry, everyone, for posting such a dumb question :( If linear math equation works, then 18 lbs cat will eat 3 cans a day.... how cute :)

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Don't feel bad, most cat food labels, whether canned or dry, tell you to feed much more than your cat really needs because it helps them sell more.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Wasn't a dumb question at all. The threads said one thing and the label another. Good on you for checking :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for being so nice and kind to me :) There is one more thing I would like to share.... I was reading the label of Evanger's 13 oz can food. There is a table explaining how much a cat should eat per day depending on the weight. The table starts with 10 lbs, next 20 lbs and then ends with 40 lbs!!!! According to this, 40 lbs cat should eat 1.5 to 2 cans of 13 oz per day..... My son (6 yr old) weighs about 44 lbs, so I was imagining a kitty weighing 40 lbs :) I would love to see that :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find that a good guideline is 15 kcal per pound.

My chubby girl (was 13lb 8oz at the vet on 4/30) has been getting about 160 kcal a day (trying to slowly get her down). She has lost about 5 oz in two weeks, using that guideline. I'm currently feeding her as if she were a 10.5lb cat.

My boy (11.5 lbs on 4/30) is recovering from P/U surgery, so he gets as much as he will eat to make sure he is healthy! But he typically eats ~150 kcal. He is a picky picker.

With BG wet 5.5oz cans, this is about one can per day per cat. He doesn't like it, so he eats less. She eats anything you give her, so it doesn't matter. Watch out for Wellness, my cats love it but it has higher calories, so I feed them less (4oz day for the girl). I started to keep a spreadsheet of their calorie intake because I wanted to make sure I wasn't overfeeding the one that needs to lose some weight.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ummmm... more calculation involved! I need to go back to my Math101 class :) Thank you for your information. I just read the label but I forgot to consider about more important matters such as calories involved besides weight (amount) of can. One of my babies is losing weight and appetite due to his hyper-thyroid. I guess I can increase more calories. Thank you again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts