Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I found a food by pet guard at Whole Foods today. It says it has Omega 3 and Omega 6. It's made without by-products, artificial flavorings, artificial color, preservatives, sweetners or sugars.

I bought 2 cans and they were only $1.35 per 14 oz can. Pretty cheap for that much food. What do you think of these ingredients?

Beef & Wheat Germ Dinner

INGREDIENTS:
*Coleman Natural Beef, Chicken, Beef Broth, Mackerel, Wheat Germ, Dried Yeast, Guar Gum, Sunflower Oil, Calcium Ascorbate (Ester-C), Taurine, Dried Kelp, DL-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Calciferol (Source of Vitamin D2), Alpha Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Inositol, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Biotin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite.

*Beef raised without Hormones or Antibiotics

It also says satisfaction guaranteed on the can...whatever that means. So, if my cats don't like it, I can get my money back??

Anyway, Whole Foods is about a mile from my house so it would be great if this was a decent food for a decent price and I could buy it where I also do some of my regular shopping.

*Crossing my fingers*

Well??

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, well I tried it tonight (couldn't wait!) and they loved it.
They seem to like new things though and then decide after the 2nd or 3rd time that they don't like it anymore..so I'll have to give the final word a little later. However, they both ate all of it right away, so I assume they really did like it.

Would love to know what you guys think of it though!

·
Registered
560 Posts
It looks like a bunch of meat and vitamines, so it looks good to me! Does it say it's approved by... God... what was that name again? Is it balanced for cats anyway? I don't see anything too crazy in there - so I'm guessing it's a good food. No hormones too... very nice. I can't wait to see the responces.

·
Registered
237 Posts
haha i think i have a can of petguard in my cabinet as a part of the cat food "collection", but have yet to try it out. the ingredients DID look good though... i was actually impressed with whole foods' selection. some of the foods on their shelves had byproducts but a majority of them seemed to be pretty close to premium quality. if it turns out that my kitties favor one of those foods, those will replace the nutro in their rotation.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I like to compare stuff with some of the Innova products because they have this ingredient tool I can click on that gives me a general idea of something if it's a good thing or bad. I don't feed Innova but I feed my cat the canned Wellness. Although I feel raw is best next would be canned then dry. If you feed raw then it would be something the cat would kill, say a chicken, rabbit or quail something small. I'm not sure if beef would be my top choice for food because I can't see that a cat could bring down a cow in the wild thereby eating beef in the wild. So I can't say I personally would feed my cat the beef canned. I like the other listed ingredients so I would choose a chicken, rabbit or turkey based diet. The other ingredients seem good. They didn't have that exact one listed on the food comparison but I thought it might be helpful for other members to try out just as a guideline or for fun to use the food comparison (you can just choose one Brand & then click on the ingredients to see what those strange names in the ingredients actually really mean) http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d= ... animal=Cat

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great input on the beef. They also had a chicken version and a beef and chicken version. Maybe I'll opt for those instead. It was very juicy, which my cats seem to love.

I also noticed that on petfood direct and a couple of other websites you could buy this food but it was $1.75 per can and that's not including shipping! At Whole Foods it was only $1.35. So far it seems like a pretty good food at a pretty good price.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I like Petguard as a company, they are really good people, and they make a very good food. My gang gets a lot of Petguard and they love it!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I've never heard of petguard, I doubt it's available here. I have trouble feeding them anything pate style... they prefer their food to be like the Nutro pouches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts