Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you on average spend on one can of 85g of high quality grain free cat food where you live? Today I went cat food shopping and bought several cans of good cat food at $1.75 per can! Some of these were on sale for $1.40 but that is still outrageous in my opinion.

Right now I am feeding my two kittens Wellness Core dry, I also usually give them a half (sometimes full) 85g can to share in the morning and another half can in the evening. I can't feed more dry than that because of the price and now I am seriously conseridering feeding dry only and with wet as an occasional treat. I know that wet is better but since they drink a lot on their own and wellness core is the best dry food you can buy(although this also is very expensive and may have to go lower quality at some point).

I know of several people who have not fed their cats wet food ever and also fed them meow mix or something as cheap for their whole lives without any health problems. They also lived to be 20.

So my question is, should I start feeding them even less wet of the good stuff, or stick with whatever I find for cheap wet?

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I pay an average 1.45 for a 5.5-6 oz can of quality cat food. I go through just about 3 cans a day (- 1 or 2 ounces) for the two cats.

I spend about 135 a month on cat food. I only spend 200.00 a month on groceries for ME (including cleaning/laundry supplies) so.... yeah... outrageously prices.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I really think you are better off going with a lesser expensive wet food, and supplementing with dry.

They really need the moisture content. Their bodies do not absorb enough water through drinking alone. My wife and I have learned this much through force. We struggled with multiple types of urinary problems before switching over to wet.

We now feed the ridiculously priced stuff. Weruva, EVO, Wellness, Natures this'n'that (forget names of the other two, but Nature is in the name of both, the Mrs. does the ordering on-line). $150+ a month for three cats. It's crazy, but my conscience is clear.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I pay around 2$ for 5.5 oz canned. I try to get 13oz canned if available, which will be 3$, so a lot cheaper. I also give them some raw food. I spend around 80$ per month on cat food for my two cats.

True that there are some cats living on crappy food and die at old age, just like there are ppl smoking and drinking till 90 years old. But there are also many, many cats develop urinary & kidney problems when feeding only dry. You need to consider how much you will spend on vet bills if that ever happen.

Is it possble for you to do some raw feeding? It's actually a lot cheaper than premium canned, and healthier. I estimated that if I feed raw only, my expense on cat food can drop to around 60$ per month. If I do canned only, it will be about 100$.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Many ppl who feed dry only think their cat get enough water, because "they drink a lot". But it's not always the case. In nature cat eat prey which consists about 80% of water, whereas in dry food the water amount is less than 10%. Do the math and you will see that for every cup of dry food, a cat need to drink around 3/4 cup of water to make it up. Now you can experiment: Measure the water they *should* intake and put it in their bowl. Put a little extra because water will evaporate. By the end of the day, is the bow all empty? If so, then your cat drank enough water, otherwise he/she is dehydrated.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm on a tight budget, so I use Xanthe's petsitting money($50) to buy Authority (Petsmart brand) and Nutro Max. Once that's run out, I spend my money on 9-Lives...but only certain flavors, cuz some has fish in it.

Mornings each cat gets half a can of the higher quality stuff, and at night they get half a can of 9-Lives.
While it's not the best diet, they're doing much better than if I was feeding grocery store kibble!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow! I could never afford those prices. I get Trader Joe's 5.5 oz. cans for 69 cents a can. I also get PetGuard on sale by the case for less than $20 for 12 14 oz cans (from my local health food store - they order it for me when it's onsale from the distributor) which averages out to close to the Trader Joe's price (a little less even). Occasionally I supplement with Wellness/EVO etc when they are on sale too.

Try seeing if you're local HFS or co-op can order by the case for you. It's the cheapest way I've found to get high quality food.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
OK...being in Canada definitely explains the pricing difference.

A probiotic is something that isn't necessary, but can definitely help their digestive system. I'm actually impressed that your vet recommends using one even if I'm not fond of the brand.

The brand that I recommended will probably be about $15-16 and you use a quarter teaspoon per day. The bottle will last months, so it's not a real bank breaker.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Feeding a raw diet is far less expensive than feeding a high quality canned food. For three cats, it costs me between 69 cents a day up to $3 a day ($3 is rare). Yes, 69 cents for all 3 cats, so about 23 cents a day for each cat.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Feeding a raw diet is far less expensive than feeding a high quality canned food. For three cats, it costs me between 69 cents a day up to $3 a day ($3 is rare). Yes, 69 cents for all 3 cats, so about 23 cents a day for each cat.
In general I would agree...unless your cat can't eat chicken or Turkey. Now you're feeding more expensive meats and have to hunt to find them (and/or pay HUGE shipping fees). If I could just hack up a cornish game hen and add some other organs ... life would be eazy peazy.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I was just at the pet store today because Blaze isn't eating much of his food... anyway, we picked up about 6 different brands of fishy food since he normally likes those, but as we were looking over various brands I was pretty shocked at some of their prices. There were a few priced between 2.50 and 3 dollars for a 3 oz. tin! Make sure to get the larger tins (~12 oz.) whenever possible to save money.

The 6 oz. tins were closer to 1.50-2.00 (grain free being on the higher side), a few of the lower end ones (Friskies, Fancy Feast) were closer to .70 cents (if anyone's interested you can get them cheapest I've found at Canadian Tire, they used to be .45 cents but I think the price jumped up recently, might not be the best deal any longer)... shopping around at various pet stores, not chain pet stores, might pay off in finding cheaper prices, too.

There's also a few middle of the road foods at a good price, like Chicken Soup for the Cat... and as far as kibble goes, Costco brand (Kirkland) is pretty good for its price.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Raw diets scare the buhjizzy-whizzy out of me.
Yeah, it used to scare me to. The first three weeks, I was convinced I was going to poison my two cats, but something kept telling me to let it go and keep them on it. Two years later, I have two very lean muscular cats who are extremely healthy. Being a raw feeder enabled me to save the life of a feral cat who was going to be put down because she refused to eat and was extremely shy and skittish. Brought her home, gave her some chicken breasts...well, let's just say she went from being very skinny and having rough fur to this.
Raw feeding is actually safer to feed than commercial diets due to recalls.

In general I would agree...unless your cat can't eat chicken or Turkey. Now you're feeding more expensive meats and have to hunt to find them (and/or pay HUGE shipping fees). If I could just hack up a cornish game hen and add some other organs ... life would be eazy peazy.
You can put ads on craigslist. I picked up pork on sale at a really great price. I shop the ads. Hunters will often give the "left overs" from their hunt. I belong to Raw Pet on facebook and there's several people who get massive hauls for cheap or free. Several people also raise their own meats such as chicken, rabbit and mice. Raw feeding is as cheap as you want it to be and can be extremely expensive if you allow it to be.

Chicken, despite the photos, only makes up a small portion of what I actually feed (unless you count the backs and wings I use for bone content). My cats typically get pork and beef, and if I can find a good deal on other meats, they will get that.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm on a tight budget, so I use Xanthe's petsitting money($50) to buy Authority (Petsmart brand) and Nutro Max. Once that's run out, I spend my money on 9-Lives...but only certain flavors, cuz some has fish in it.
I have actually picked up a bunch of authority wet food which was on sale for .40 cents, so I guess I will keep an eye out for more sales. What's wrong with fish flavoured foods? My cats love it. I don't feed it to them often but when I do they really mow down.

OK...being in Canada definitely explains the pricing difference.

A probiotic is something that isn't necessary, but can definitely help their digestive system. I'm actually impressed that your vet recommends using one even if I'm not fond of the brand.

The brand that I recommended will probably be about $15-16 and you use a quarter teaspoon per day. The bottle will last months, so it's not a real bank breaker.
Well the vet never recommended a probiotic, I work at a shelter and we use forti-flora there so I have been starting to use that on my kittens as well. Which brand do you use, and can I find it online?

I was just at the pet store today because Blaze isn't eating much of his food... anyway, we picked up about 6 different brands of fishy food since he normally likes those, but as we were looking over various brands I was pretty shocked at some of their prices. There were a few priced between 2.50 and 3 dollars for a 3 oz. tin! Make sure to get the larger tins (~12 oz.) whenever possible to save money.

The 6 oz. tins were closer to 1.50-2.00 (grain free being on the higher side), a few of the lower end ones (Friskies, Fancy Feast) were closer to .70 cents (if anyone's interested you can get them cheapest I've found at Canadian Tire, they used to be .45 cents but I think the price jumped up recently, might not be the best deal any longer)... shopping around at various pet stores, not chain pet stores, might pay off in finding cheaper prices, too.

There's also a few middle of the road foods at a good price, like Chicken Soup for the Cat... and as far as kibble goes, Costco brand (Kirkland) is pretty good for its price.
Ya I have just started to buy the larger cans... I use to only get the smaller ones because I never used as much but if I buy the bigger ones then I will feed them more wet. I always see fancy feast on sale... I got a whole bunch of cans a few months ago but I don't think I will buy those again... I want something a bit higher in quality... I got a few cans of chicken soup and several other varieties too try. I am still able to get the good dry food, it's the wet that really adds up.

I like a few others posted am terrified of raw... I keep thinking if I feed my cats raw chicken, they will die. lol. Also I'm not sure what kinds of suppliments I would need or how to give it to them(they are very picky).

·
Registered
78 Posts
We buy 12.5oz cans by the case from a small supplies only store for a huge discount. Nearly the price they get it in straight from the manufacturer but I don't remember what each brand cost per case. The grain free versions are I think somewhere around $25/dozen but it depends what it is. That is only half their diet though so we only spend about that $25 on commercial food a month.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I buy Trader Joe's canned. It's 60-some cents per 5.5 oz can. I shudder at the prices of Wellness and the like! The ingredients in Trader Joe's are pretty good, and it's definitely not worth it to me to pay more than twice as much for a little more quality.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Wow! I could never afford those prices. I get Trader Joe's 5.5 oz. cans for 69 cents a can.
So do I. Do you have a Trader Joe's up in Canada? Unfortunately, they don't have a web site you can order from, so you'd have to go to the actual store to get it. But good quality food for 69 cents a can, I'm sold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Raw diets scare the buhjizzy-whizzy out of me.
Me too!! Although in theory, I love the idea. Being a vegetarian for 12 years, it was hard enough to adjust to canned food. I've even gotten so far as to cut up a piece of raw chicken breast for them. Honestly, when people talk about feeding a wing, leg, drumstick, thigh, etc, I have NO idea what that means.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's $2.09 for a 13.2 oz can of EVO. One can lasts Matrix 4 days, so that's just a little over $.50 per day, which I don't think is bad. I don't get him dry food, so I don't know how much that is compared to canned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Actually multiplied in to 12.5oz cans at a dozen a case your trader joe would come out at 17.7 and my wellness grain free comes out at $23-25 for the same ounces. $7 or less difference a month for me or $14 or less difference if I fed the cats on just canned.

feeding a wing, leg, drumstick, thigh, etc, I have NO idea what that means.
For my cats it means I stick a bag with 2 pieces in hot water until about body temp of an animal which is 102-103F and then I dump it in a dog bowl in the bathroom. Each cat takes a piece and crunches away. I sweep up any bone chunks that couldn't be eaten and note their size compared to what I fed (they may need extra calcium for whatever amount of bone is too heavy to eat), spray the vinyl floor with antibacterial nontoxic coconut cleaner, and wipe it off. Some just use vinegar or diluted bleach for that purpose but having birds I got in the habit of very safe cleaners without fumes and I'm not concerned my immune system wouldn't be able to handle a little missed bacteria.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts