Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since switching to an almost exclusively Wellness canned diet, I have noticed significantly less stool and stool odor, but much more urine smell. Urine amount isn't up and the smell isn't just the usual ammonia stink. There's a very strong "cat pee" smell like you would imagine in the house of an old lady with far too many cats. My cats don't go anywhere but in the litter box (they absolutely refuse to pee anywhere but in litter) and they drink more water than any other cats I've had.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. If so, is there some way to combat it? If not, I guess I'll be giving my vet a buzz.

Thanks for everybody's help with all my food problems!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmmm. That's interesting. I'm sure certain foods have higher concentrations of different ingredients which could make for stinky poo or pee. However, a really ammonia like pee could indicate a problem and may warrant a call to the vet. I could see if the food was just making kitty drink more, and there was more pee, but for it to have such an odor?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The girls were just at the vets last weekend, and came away with flying colors. I didn't mean to imply that their pee smells strongly of ammonia. It doesn't at all--it just smells super pee-y.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Is it just when its fresh or does it smell strongly even after a couple hours? Sabby's pee does smell really strong right after he's gone to the box, but dissipates so that I don't notice a smell at all by the time I clean out the box in the evenings.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to smell all the time. I noticed it when I came home from work last night. This was the first time I ever thought ot myself "You can tell I have cats." :oops: I clean the box once or twice a day, and I even sprinkled some baking soda in this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts