Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am giving my kitten, lola, dry food (eukanuba kitten formula) and am supplementing it with wet food (iams kitten formula).

i was doing it before, and she was getting messy soft poops. and she seemed kind of gassy! one time, after she finished her wet food, she screamed and then ran for her litter box. poor thing! so i stopped the wet food and just gave her the dry. she seemed much more comfortable, and her weight was good.

then she had some problems with her kidneys, and lost a pound, so i have been trying to fatten her up as well as get some water in her. they say the wet food helps with that. the vet told me to get her back on high-protein kitten food, so i've been doing the same mix: eukabuba dry and iams wet. same problem, poor kitty. she loves it so, but it upsets her tummy.

can anyone recommend a different brand of wet kitten food that isn't so rich?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Mar,

My vet recommended the Iams Kitten Formula because Psi had the same problem - soft and VERY stinky poo as well as gas. Another vet I talked to about his poo said that it is the high fat that causes it and Iams Kitten Wet has:

Caloric Distribution
Protein 36%...Fat 57%...Carbohydrate 7%

So, to me it looks like there's too much fat in there. Unfortunately, all of the Iams canned products have about the same amount of fat.

As for Hill's Science Diet, the Kitten Liver and Chicken has:
Protein 48.5....Fat 27.5....Carbs 16.0

Hill's Science Diet Kitten Feline Growth Savory Cuts Ocean Fish in Sauce has:
Protein 44.9....Fat 33.5....Carbs 13.1

So maybe try any of those. My vet said what's important for all cats is a high protein/low carb diet and both of those foods satisfy that.

Good luck!
tanyuh

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tanyuh, you rock! thanks much for the info. i think i'll go shopping tomorrow and say goodbye to stinky kitty!

mar

·
Registered
179 Posts
I buy Misty's food from Dr Foster's and Smith. It's an online company and she just loves the food! Of course, it's a tad strong, so while she was sick I had to switch her to Purina Kitten Chow because it's kinda bland. But she does seem to be doing ok on Dr F&S

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had that problem with Orion when I brought him home, I ended up getting him Nutrience Kitten Food (dry) it's rather expensive, but he doesn't eat as much, and he no longer has the runs, so I figure it's worth it :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
tanyuh said:
Iams Kitten Wet has:

Caloric Distribution
Protein 36%...Fat 57%...Carbohydrate 7%

So, to me it looks like there's too much fat in there. Unfortunately, all of the Iams canned products have about the same amount of fat.

tanyuh
These are the percentages of "Calories" contributed by protein, fat & carbs. That is what is meant by the term "Caloric Distribution" above these percentages. This means that 57% of the calories in Iams wet are contributed by fat, not that there is 57% fat in the food.

The dry matter percentages of Iams wet kitten are:
45.3 % protein and 32.8 % fat which are actually comparable to the Science Diet percentages listed. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
As for Hill's Science Diet, the Kitten Liver and Chicken has:
Protein 48.5....Fat 27.5....Carbs 16.0

When I first read the "Kitten Liver and Chicken" I was like..."whoa, wait a second now" cause it looked like it meant kitten's liver and chicken....uh...nevermind...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ugh, she is not better. getting worse, and i think she's in pain. she's crying a lot and her little tummy seems to hurt. she keeps whining and then lying down in front of me, then she rolls over to lick herself... poor thing. i think i'll call the vet tomorrow and see if they want me to take her off wet food all together...! :cry:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yikes, that's no good...

Ya, I'd call the vet too. Is there an emergency place you can call to talk to a vet now? I don't give either of my cats soft food at all unless it is for a treat. I hope she feels better soon! Maybe she just has a sensitive tummy. There is sensitive stomach dry food from Science Diet you could ask the vet about.

Poor Lola...I hope you get better!

tanyuh

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, today, she seems better. she has an appointment on sunday, so i think i'll talk to her doctor about it then.... i also switched her to the science diet chicken and liver kitten. although, right now, she only wants my glass of ice water! :? keeps sticking her head all the way in the glass and tipping it over... silly kitten.

i do have a great emergency vet. they are the ones who took care of her last week when she had her kidney problem. they took excellent care of her there... if she gets hurty again, i'll call them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
poops are better! more 'formed' and less stinky. she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable anymore. i got some science diet and she LOVES it, and so does my older cat, mabel. i think it's good for mabel because she is so small anyway. maybe i can fatten her up.

thanks everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts