Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my cat eating wet food, and did some research on the internet which is the best. i also came away with the feeling that some don,t believe there is a quality, good canned food for cats, that the companys used low quality products to make money....any thoughts on this ?

http://members.cox.net/rcgaarddd/MOV00127.MPG

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I don't think there are any members on here who are anti-canned, just some who feed dry because their cats won't eat canned or raw because they think it is better for them. I feed a mix of dry and wet, and it works well for us and I believe that since it is high quality dry it is fine for them. Ultimately, you are going to get varying opinions on this forum on which food is best. I would do what you think is best for your little guy.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I personally believe there are definite quality differences between various brands of canned food, and that there are quality brands out there. Some people prefer not to feed commercial food at all because they feel the best way to ensure their cat is getting good food is by making it themselves, some people prefer to feed only raw rather than canned because they feel it provides a more natural and bio-available source of nutrition, and these are certainly a valid viewpoints, but not the only valid viewpoints.

I feed a mix of canned and raw to one of my cats, because this seems to work best for him (he dislikes getting only one type of food). My other cat, I feed almost exclusively raw simply because she has digestive sensitivities that cause her to not react well to any processed food in large amounts, even the good-quality stuff. Clearly a raw diet is better for her than a canned one, but a canned diet seems to suit my other cat fine (and I keep raw in his diet as a personal choice based on my research into it). When I do use canned, I use several quality brands that I've looked into and feel confident feeding my cats based on their ingredients and the reputations of the companies.

You have to do what you feel is best for your lifestyle and your cat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
feeding raw mixed with commerical canned, you mean chopp raw meat and mix it, and not cook the meat at all?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
feeding raw mixed with commerical canned, you mean chopp raw meat and mix it, and not cook the meat at all?
Naw, I mean I give him rotating meals of raw and canned. I give him raw for breakfast and dinner and a bit of canned for lunch. Sometimes I'll swap out one of the morning or evening raw meals for canned if he's being particularly picky one day.

On occasion I have literally mixed the raw food in with some canned food though, to encourage him to eat.

He just stops eating whatever I give him if he gets anything too similar too many meals in a row.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts