Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading in the forum about how bad just dry food can be for a cat, I have decided to once again try wet food for my crew. I have tried the better quality can food but they just love the special kitty I get at walmart for 27 cents a package. They turn their nose up at chicken soup wet first 5 ingredients are: chicken, salmon,chicken liver,turkey, and duck. This is a pate style. Special kitty's first 5 are: sufficient water for processing, chicken, meat by-products,wheat glutten, natural flavors. This is in a chunk style with gravy. They gobble this up. My question is: is there a better quality wet food out there in chunk style and also is a poor quality wet food better than no wet food at all? thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi Bug, I am not really an expert when it comes to food and nutrition. I kow we have some members who can answer your questions better.

I am going to move this into the Health and Nutrition section for you, you will get better responses there.

:D

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I think lower quality wet food would be somewhat better than dry food in some ways but I'm not sure there. No doubt about it for them getting more liquids into their body though. As for chunk style food that is higher quality, most cats love Nutro Natural pouches with tons of gravy. Innova is like pate style but my cats love it so much. Solid Gold also offers tuna chunks too. Good luck with finding one they like :!:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Nutro in the pink 3-oz can and pouches are chunks. You can get it at Petsmart. Active Life is also chunks. It will say on the can, "Ground" if it's the pate-mush kind, or something like "nuggets" "shreds" or "chunks".

I've found that a lot of cats don't like the Chicken Soup canned. Mine aren't too thrilled with it. It's kind of rubbery and dry, cats seem to prefer things juicier.

You want to steer clear of foods that are based on by-products if you can. For details on what ingredients are and how to pick a good food, see http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=004

However, I do think that pretty much any wet food is better than none.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another vote for the Nutro pouches! My cats did not like the Chicken Soup canned food either. Lola actually ate some, but threw it up a few minutes later. The others wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow I go on the hunt for nutro pouches. We don't have a petsmart here, but I'm sure somebody carries it. I don't worry about them getting enough water, we have a water fountian and they love it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D :D SUCCESS!!!! Found Nutro pouches, they love it. I feel so much better they are eating GOOD food.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Oh!!! How I wish I had read this thread before I went and bought the
Chicken Soup canned. He is eating it when I make the little meatballs with the dry food.
Bug...How much are these Nutro Pouches?
Also....Bug!!!!! You have the coolest avatar I have seen!!! :lol:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Nutro Pouches are about $0.50 in my area at Petsmart. $0.60 at Petco. They're the cheapest wet food I feed my 2 cats :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I love the Nutro pouches too...although I was NOT thrilled with the dry Nutro Natural Care food.

The pouches, however, are excellent, and my cats LOVE them...very juicy, and quite easy to serve up too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I must have the weirdest cats in the world...they don't like Nutro pouches! Well, they like the gravey, but they leave the chunks. :roll: They do, however, like the Nutro canned foods.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I have a cat who will lick off the gravy and leave the chunks, but if I feed in jelly she eats it all.

When I got my cats it was when dry food was all you should feed, so screech, vienna, butch and smeagle were braught up on dry food. Since learning of the differences I feed wet aswell, but screech just will not eat it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Aimee, My cats wouldn't touch the Nutro pouches either. I also tried Innova, but Wellness is the only food they will eat. :)

Aaron

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I was still smiling from picturing Bosco's Mom making kitty cat meatballs when Zalensia told us about cat food in jelly. Hm, kitties, do you prefer blackberry or strawberry? :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts