Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my 2 cats a 3 oz. can every other day in the morning. I split the food in half so they each get about 1 1/2 oz. each which is perfect for how much they eat. Fancy Feast and Pro Plan are what canned foods I usually feed them but I was wondering if it is ok to feed them everyday for canned food or is that too much ? Any suggestions would definitely be helpful :!:

·
Registered
46 Posts
some cats get only canned food, as they are finding that dry food has too many carbohydrates and it is thought that it may be contributing to the epidemic of cats with diabetes
my diabetic cat is on a high protein low carb diet
cats have NO dietary requirement for carbohydrates (the corn meal etc that is used as a cheap filler in dry foods)
they are obligate carnivores, they must eat meat

unfortunately, not all cats will eat canned food
my Kali has no interest in it, so i give her the highest quality dry food i can (well i just switched her, i didn't know all this about food til recently)
:shock:

they also found that since cats do not actually chew their food, the claims about dental health with dry food are misleading at best

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, my cats seem to really like it when I feed them a can every morning :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Canned food.. I believe the reason of the dental care in dry food is because IF they dont chew it, not much can get on their teeth.. My cats eat dry food only, and the vet said they have VERY clean teeth - unlike my other cats who ate wet canned food. Had a dog who ate canned food all her life and now shes toothless because of cavities. IF you feed canned food, I suggest you brushing kitties teeth or add dryfood to the mix.. I like feeeding dry food in the morning, then canned food in the evening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts