Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that kibble is bad for cats in several ways. Eating all canned (and of course raw) is better for them. Right now, I am SO broke that I can't even afford to feed exclusively the cheapest canned all the time.
I was wondering, until work picks up again (hopefully January, after the holidays are over and things are settled down), could I just turn kibble into mush, and that would be okay? The kibble I feed is relatively good quality...chicken is the first ingredient, and has no corn (Paizly gets sick with corn-anything). If I were to put it in a blender with some warm water and make a gruel, would that be just as good as canned?
I plan on buying some toothbrushes (one for each cat, simply for the fact of if one gets sick, I won't contaminate everybody else) and start doing that at least twice a week, as Paizly has gingivitis... and with all her other problems, I just want to keep her with as little pain/discomfort from everything possible that I can.

I do feed everybody 2 ounces of canned in the morning, but that's really more for a treat than a -diet-. Reward for Paizly taking her medicine (and keep her stomach from getting upset by it), and the others simply so they don't get jealous.

If I 'mushed' the kibble, I figure I'll feed 5 ounces (equivalent to a can) to everybody, twice a day. Or would I need more than that, since it's diluted with water and they wouldn't get the full nutrients as eating the plain kibble? Heck, they never finish their 2 ounces in the morning at once, but I figure that's because they're snacking on kibble through the night.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't think this is a good idea as pet food manufacturers usually put flavoring on the outside of the kibble (animal digest) that can make the food have bacteria if mixed with water.
PetSmart's Sophisicat (not high quality) canned food is $0.36 for 5.5oz right now. Friskies is usually $0.40-0.45 at PetSmart or Walmart. There are some no corn, no soy, no wheat flavors. During lean times I would also buy the 12oz cans, cut them in fourths, and freeze them. Maybe you can find cheap meats on sale.
I am sure others have good advice.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you did that you wouldn't be able to leave it out--they'd have to have a set time to eat it. Also I think (correct me, guys?) that kibble has a different calorie content than canned per oz so it might not be equivalent to assume that 5 oz of kibble mixed with water is the same as 5 oz of canned food.

I've certainly mixed kibble in with canned and water to make a mush for the boys when we were low on funds but we never left it out.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
I've heard that adding water to kibble somehow activates bacteria growth.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did plan on 3 meals a day, and only leaving it out for 15 minutes at the most.
Drat... thought it would be too good to be true.
I guess they can survive on kibble for one more month.

·
Banned
602 Posts
I can't afford canned for Mia (she doesnt like it anyway). So I buy the best food I can afford. Right now its Eagle Pack Feline Kitten Food. I get a good price on it because a friend will hold back a 6lb. bag that has an exp. date in 1 month for me (half price $7.49). I leave food out for Mia at all times. She grazes. I give her a 1/3 cup in the morning when I wake up and another 1/3 cup around 4-5 in the evening. She doesnt always eat the whole thing but quite near. She weighs 7.8 lbs and is 6 months old. She is slender, just long and tall.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I've heard what Marie has...that adding water to dry and setting it out brings on bacteria growth. I'm not sure that it would be that bad in a 15 minute period....

I don't see how it would hurt if you didn't leave it laying around..however.. the only real benefit would be added water to their diet. Is that what you are trying to accomplish?

I can relate the cost factor. I was unemployed for almost two years and I was spending *way* more on MowMOw than on myself. Making sure he ate good quality canned meant ZERO extra stuff for me. No movies, no eating out, no video rentals, no cable TV, no buying books, no magazines, eating cheaper foods and less of it and buying LOTS of generic brands of everything. It stunk! :p It's a good thing he's so damned cute.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't know about the bacteria bit. Isn't mixing wet with water advised if kittens are being fed kibble because feeding them dry kibble constipates them. Maybe it's the length of time it's left out, but then I suspect even wet left out grows bacteria fairly easily.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was googling to look this up I found this quote on an article from 2007, I did find the article pretty intresting.

Although the cooking process kills bacteria in the ingredients, the final product can pick up more bacteria during the subsequent drying, coating, and packaging process. Some experts warn that getting dry food wet can allow the bacteria on the surface to multiply and make pets sick. Do not mix dry food with water, milk, canned food, or other liquids.
What’s Really in Pet Food

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was googling to look this up I found this quote on an article from 2007, I did find the article pretty intresting.

Although the cooking process kills bacteria in the ingredients, the final product can pick up more bacteria during the subsequent drying, coating, and packaging process. Some experts warn that getting dry food wet can allow the bacteria on the surface to multiply and make pets sick. Do not mix dry food with water, milk, canned food, or other liquids.
What’s Really in Pet Food
Yeah I think I read that article.

Common sense says that there's no way bacteria is going to multiply in 15 minutes enough to hurt your cats, though, otherwise they'd get sick from anything at all really that was left out, raw, canned OR kibble-so I bet leaving it down for 15-20 minutes would be just fine.

Alternatively, if it's fluid intake you're worried about, you could cut down your canned costs by mixing THAT with water to make a gravy and just give that to them in addition to the kibble, which you can then leave dry and leave out? Then you could add warm water to maybe a tablespoon of canned food and let them lap that up without using a huge amt of the canned food just to boost fluid intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts