Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there other brands besides Nature's Variety that offer rabbit as the main protien source?
I feed 2/3 raw and the rest canned. I can get many sources of protien for raw except rabbit but I would really like to include it in there diet.
I have 2 cats and right now I'm giving them 1/2 of a 5.5oz can each of Nature's Variety Rabbit once a day but at $3.09 +taxes I'm spending over $21 a week to feed one meal a day and I just can't afford that plus what I spend on raw meat right now.

Nature's Variety is the only rabbit that my local pet store carries but I am going out of town one day this week so I thought I could stock up if I can find something cheaper, I just don't know what to look for.

*ordering online is not an option right now. I live in Canada if that makes a difference to what is available to me *

Thank you!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Evanger's offers a canned 100% rabbit product, but it's not nutritionally complete. Addiction canned foods might also, I'll go look and see.

Edit: Yay, I found it! Addiction DOES have a complete rabbit canned food! :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Not sure about other brands. I also used to feed Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit. However, I've left it out of the rotation after finding out that the rabbit is sourced from China.

Perhaps the only way is to visit Asian supermarkets. I've seen raw rabbit available there.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ziwipeak has rabbit - from New Zealand, but is a little pricier than the others, and Hounds & Gatos has one as well.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Not sure about other brands. I also used to feed Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit. However, I've left it out of the rotation after finding out that the rabbit is sourced from China.

Perhaps the only way is to visit Asian supermarkets. I've seen raw rabbit available there.
+1

Nice catch. This is why I stay away from rabbit canned foods. Most brands do source from China.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Interesting! I didn't realize that.
Unfortunately I have no idea where an Asian market is. I'm sure I would have to make a trip into the city which is at least 3 hours away and i can't see myself doing that anytime soon.

As far as all the other brands listed, I have never heard of any of them!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had asked NV once about their recent rabbit shortage and they told me that the rabbits are shipped (live) from China and butchered in France. There was a strike going on with some workers in France at the time, hence the shortage. Thought that was interesting.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I had asked NV once about their recent rabbit shortage and they told me that the rabbits are shipped (live) from China and butchered in France. There was a strike going on with some workers in France at the time, hence the shortage. Thought that was interesting.
Interesting indeed. It says on their site where the rabbit is source, but I didn't know they shipped them out to France.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I can vouch for the quality, and palatability (at least according to Mimi) of Addiction's Black Forest Rabbit & Blueberries. She loves loves loves it! It's not a regular for her - I rotate the buffalo meatloaf, herbed duck confit and the hunters stew with the rabbit - one can of an Addiction food per week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a long Google search, I see that Wysong has rabbit as well.

Thanks everyone! At least now I won't have to go through the store can for can to see which ones are rabbit!

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
As I recall, Wysong is not nutritionally complete. Could have changed, but you probably want to check.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts