Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't posted in a while. Here's a quick history:

My cat is 7 years old, adopted from the shelter two years ago. She was then, and still is now, about 3 pounds overweight (13.5lbs).

When I first got her, I researched a ton and eventually put her on the best diet I felt I could afford - mostly high quality canned with one small meal a day of grain free kibble.

For the first year we had her, she had recurring issues with her anal glands. She was also defecating daily, but always in the form of rounded "rabbit pellets." Through some trial and error, I discovered that when I gave her all kibble, her stool was better formed and she had fewer anal gland issues. So, tired of fighting, I ditched the canned.

So, it's been about a year since then, and despite the ridiculously small amount I'm feeding her, she hasn't lost an ounce. And she still scoots on the carpet, just less often than on the canned.

I'm ready for a reboot. A do-over. I'm reconsidering canned and raw diets, but I'm concerned about the anal gland problems getting worse again. I was all set to buy NV Instinct today before I read here and saw the bone content can cause constipation. Canned diets are supposed to be better for constipation, but apparently not for my cat.

Suggestions? I'm looking for a commercial food (I'm not interested in preparing my own raw) that will help her lose weight while still keeping everything moving smoothly.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I never heard of a grain free dry food. Dry food contains a lot of carbs which causes weight gain and dehyration which causes constipation. Don't know anything about anal glands as i never had a problem with my cats. If the poop is like rabbit pellets then she is constipated, there's a blockage, the anal glands could be plugged and need to be expressed, maybe dehydration, or other causes. Cats do need bones in their diets for calcium. My friend's cat had plugged anal glands and couldn't poop so she expressed them and the cat started popping again. As for constipation you might try Miralax powder, unflavored twice a day untill resolved. Don't remember the how much. Maybe 1/4 tsp. If too much reduce to 1/8. Geets gets lactulose 2 times a day because he has kidney disease which causes dehydration which causes constipation.

I guess if you learned how to express the anal glands it would help. If not ask your vet.

Kathy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet expressed her anal glands multiple times, but it didn't help. I added pumpkin to her food every day for fiber, but it didn't help. Logic (and my vet) says that dry food should cause worse constipation than wet, but the opposite was true for my cat. The day I switched to all-dry, the rabbit pellets were gone.

Not saying it was necessarily the right thing to do. Just trying to explain what I was seeing and why I went to all dry against my better judgment. But now I'm trying again with some different brands of canned to see if it makes a difference.

Incidentally, I don't think grain free and low carb are synonymous. A food can be grain free and still high carb. Blue Buffalo Wilderness is what I feed and it is grain free, but definitely not low carb.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and what I meant by bone content was that NV Instinct was higher than other raw foods. Bone is good, but my understanding is that too much causes constipation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts