Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone remembers, but for a while now, I've been struggling with adopting a new kitty (is it time? girl or boy? how many to get? now is it time?...).

We visited our local humane society over the weekend - with the intention just to visit - but while we were in one of the cat club houses (five cats sharing a room with cool wall perches and an overhead cat walk) this sweet long haired tabby approached us and then sat right near Mike. Later, he sat very close to me and put his paws on my leg, and gave me head love bumps and kisses. *Completely* stole my heart. It all felt right, so we decided to adopt him!

He's pretty big, so we assumed he was around 2-3 years old, but later discovered he's 10 months, and was a stray.

Policy is that he must be neutered before going home, so we've had to wait since Saturday for his vet appointment today. We pick him up from the vet when he's ready, after we fill out the official adoption paperwork at the shelter this afternoon.

I am SO excited. And nervous about introducing him to Pfeffa. I've read and re-read the articles at littlebigcat.com, and we have a room all set up for him when he arrives home.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for us?

Pictures from his first night!
Hobochangba didn't care for the flash - and he's not as gray as he appears here - he's definitely brown. Isn't his "ruff" so funny - it makes him look very top heavy.

He has such pretty eyes - here's a blurry one (I tried to not use flash and he doesn't stand still much!)

And last, but certainly not least, my Pfeffa girl (who's not so keen on Hobochangba just yet, or of me taking her picture with the new camera - can't you just see that in her eyes?)

A question:
Is it normal for a cat to ROLL around in his litter box? It is brand new, with no scent - could he have been trying to put his scent in it? There is litter EVERYWHERE! He did successfully use it this morning.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not exactly wisdom here...but I just wanted to say - "Have lots of fun with your new addition! I am so happy for you!" :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I think encouraging someone to have fun with their cat IS wisdom.

Only an hour and a half left before I leave to make it all official (!) WOO HOO! Oops, sorry, control...control...serenity...calming...

aw heck - WHOOP WHOOP NEW KITTY!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Congratulations on your new arrival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is SO exciting to get a new additon to the family :D Have lots of fun, and take lots of pictures!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just posted some pics at the top (!)

He is SUCH a little sweetheart. Pfeffa was mostly clueless, even when I came down after a visit with him rubbing and giving kisses. I played with her as usual, and it wasn't until she wandered upstairs, and happened to sniff under the door that she realized something was IN there.

Hobochangba chirped at her from behind the door, but she hissed, then backed away, then slunk down the stairs and refused to go back up.

Later, he was crying and scratching at the door ( :cry: ) and she was down at the bottom of the stairs staring up, her ears perked up more than I've ever seen them - absolutely enthralled with these sounds. At one point, she was leaning to one side and had her paw lifted slightly (?). It was precious. Will curiousity get the best of her? Will she wander back up on her own? I'm so anxious for them to meet - and for Hobochangba to be out and about.

·
Registered
99 Posts
aww they're all so pretty!

p.s.- geocities doesn't allow for outside linking of pics, so if you want to see them, you'll ahve to right click, get properties, copy the picture address then paste it into the address bar.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks BritChipmunk!

I didn't realize that about geocities (guess that's what you get when you don't pay for anything). I'll edit the links when I can get to my own FTP site later today.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The litterbox thing is strange but can you really ever explain a cat? :lol: Barnaby is finicky about a clean litter box. A couple years ago when he didn't like the litter he would sniff around in it, dig a little, and whine, and then lay down in it.

So let me get this straight... it's not clean enough for you to poo in, but clean enough to lay down in? :?

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of mine did the litter box rolling around thing in clean litter. I thought it was like a dust bath, I've seen birds outside do it.

Yes, good luck with the introductions.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Good luck with the introductions :D He is so cute. He definitly looks like a little lion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What a goreous boy. If he is only ten months old, I bet he is going to be one huge cat!! Good luck with intro's. I hope all goes smoothly for you.

Melissa

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you! We think he's a handsome boy too.

Pfeffa is not at ALL interested in being anywhere near his door. She knows something's upstairs, and I've seen her a few times sitting at the bottom of the stairs looking up. If I go partway up the stairs and sit there and call her up, she just stares at me...then usually wanders out of the livingroom.

This morning, she was doing this same thing, when Hobochangba heard me talking to her, and started crying. She continued to stare at me - didn't even look up the stairs, although her ears twitched and perked up a bit - then walked away.

She sniffs me when I come down from his space, but hasn't growled or given me the cold shoulder at all (which is a good thing) but I'm not sure what to do next. We're thinking of putting him in the downstairs bathroom for a little bit tonight to do some site/scent swapping, and maybe encourage some more interaction.

In any case, Hobochangba seems very happy - and eager to get downstairs. I think he will be fine with meeting Pfeffa. I haven't seen him rolling in his litter since that first evening, and added the clip on frame to make the sides a bit higher - I think he likes to dig, the little bugger.

He seems almost frantic about food - eating every bit very quickly. We give him dry food in the am, and canned when we get home. He just seems so hungry and anxious at every feeding...could that be normal for a stray?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts