Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it was Doodlebug who gave a formula on how to safely get a cat to lose weight by slowly cutting down calories by 10-15%. But I cant find the thread.

Two of my 3 cats could do with losing a pound or so (they both are around 13.5#s. Loosing a pound or two would be more healthy for them. Both spayed females with a bit of excess weight).

I think the thread said that for maintainence its 20kcals per pound??

Anyone remember the thread?

TIA

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
A cat needs 20-25 calories per pound depending on activity level to maintain it's weight. Use 20 cals for an overweight slug that never displays a burst of energy. Then reduce by 10-15% to achieve weight loss. Weigh every two weeks to ensure loss is not too fast. You don't want them to lose more than a 1-1.5lbs per month.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A cat needs 20-25 calories per pound depending on activity level to maintain it's weight. Use 20 cals for an overweight slug that never displays a burst of energy. Then reduce by 10-15% to achieve weight loss. Weigh every two weeks to ensure loss is not too fast. You don't want them to lose more than a 1-1.5lbs per month.
Thanks. :grin:

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
When I was taking weight off of my feline fatties, I weighed them every two weeks with a digital baby scale. I maintained their weight loss at a rate of .2-.4 lb every two weeks by adjusting their food portions, as necessary, after each weigh-in. I would have considered 1 lb or more of weight loss per month to be too rapid for my comfort or for my cats' health.

Laurie

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Laurie....I'm in no hurry to get the weight off...Just think it will be healthier for them....

Im fine with slow and steady.... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts