Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My name is Jim. My problem is a cat that was at one time a stray, but
had been a pet before(it was spayed). We took it in about a year and a half ago got all the shots and so on. The problem is the cat comes into the bed and starts to knead on my wife's neck or sholder while purring loudly. It happens 4 or 5 times a night. About every half hour. You can take the cat to it's food bowl and it eats a few little bites and it'd fine, but it's right back in the bed about a half hour later purring and kneading. If you put the cat outside the bedroom door it meows continuously and loudly.
I 've heard about animals being weaned to soon and other theories. but sleep is badly needed.
Thanks!!!
Jim
jvt321

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah...that's what cats do. It sounds like your cat is very happy (kneading and purring are what content cats do) sleeping with you and just wants to give you some love. Norville used to "tuck us in" at night with kneading and purring and rubs for a few minutes, then he'd leave for most of the night.

You could try a play session before bed, get the kitty tired out and maybe he'll be less awake at night. It doesn't sound like he's hungry - just very lovey and waking you up for some attention.

(welcome to the forum!)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Our cat does that also and we used to pet him. We now just hide under the covers until he goes away. He does still walk all over us with his little feet that poke hard. :shock: Our cat was still with his mom and 1 littermate at 6mths of age so it seems to be just a love thing.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
When I first adopted Bosco...he would do this midnight madness!
He wake the kids up too! Oh Gosh!

My solution....I kept a dish towel near my bed at night...when he would come in...I would swish the towel at him...like swishing it in his face!
HE HATED IT! It worked! It took a few nights of "towel swishing"
But now we all sleep peacfully...and yes he still sleeps with me!
I love for him to sleep with me and I love purring....I just think the
keeping you awake is a learned behavior. Now he comes quietly.
No "meowing", No "kneeding" He just sleeps next to me and purrs
He is still very affectionate with me too...'during the daytime!'

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
The theory about it being due to being taken away from their mum is untrue. I have 3 cats, all of whome are viennas babies, and nearly a year later they still kneed us.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My cats all knead me at various times during the night and at first, I would wake up because of it but now I sleep right through. Although I actually enjoyed waking up to find them getting all snuggly with me. :) One suggestion I have is to make sure kitty's nails are trimmed and this will at least make it hurt less when they knead right on your skin. My cats will knead for a few minutes before they lay down and get comfy, so I am thinking your kitty is just making himself a nice spot to sleep with you.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
kana said:
We now just hide under the covers until he goes away. He does still walk all over us with his little feet that poke hard. :shock
This sounds like my cats. Twinkie will get in a cuddly mood once in a blue moon and lick like crazy and we duck under sometimes and he goes away only to appear again. Then Sugar has the little hammer feet where she just perches on me and it hurts, and then she walks over my stomach in the morning.

Ok I think cats knead us b/c they need us .....ok I just had to say that b/c it was cute when I thought of it... :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts