Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six weeks ago, I took an approx. year old homeless female cat off the street and had her examined at the vet before taking her home. They shaved her belly to try and determine if she'd been spayed, but it was inconclusive. There was only a tiny bump, no sign of a scar.

So she's been inside with me for six weeks.. if she wasn't spayed, would I be seeing telltale signs of her coming into season by now? She's been very hostile with the other two cats in the household (m&f), and has to be kept apart from them.. aren't cats in heat supposed to be over-affectionate with other cats, not to mention people?

She's never "presented herself" either, altho she has become more restless and "talky" in the last week, which is what has me concerned..

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Some cats go through "silent heat" where they are particularly vocal or yowling. Some females are hostile to other cats if they're coming into heat or if they are pregnant. Are her nipples pink and slightly enlarged? Any possibility she's pregnant?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I wish more vets would put a tattoo on the stomach...

I wouldn't have her potentially re-spayed at the moment. The anesthesia is too risky considering it may be useless. I would wait and see if she definitely goes into heat.

Your vet might do an ultrasound to see if she's pregnant. I think they can also test her urine for a hormone similar to how human pregnancy tests work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are her nipples pink and slightly enlarged? Any possibility she's pregnant?
Nope, I don't see any physical signs whatsoever regarding either..

I too wish vets would use something to indicate.. I read how some like to notch the ear tip, especially if it's a stray capture.. no such luck here.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Nope, I don't see any physical signs whatsoever regarding either..

I too wish vets would use something to indicate.. I read how some like to notch the ear tip, especially if it's a stray capture.. no such luck here.
Feral cats are "ear tipped". Strays are typically not. A tattoo on the stomach or on the ear would work wonders though...

A feral cat is a cat that hasn't had human interaction. They typically have to be trapped and then are then released back into the environment. They can't be "homed".

Strays are cats with human interaction and can be kept as pets. These are typically what ends up in shelters.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I wonder if the vet could do an ultrasound to check for the presence of reproductive organs or a blood/urine test to check hormone levels?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I was in the same situation when I took in Sadie. Found her as a stray and the vet guessed that she was about a year old. He looked for a spay scar but couldn't say for sure one way or the other. It was just a wait and see kind of thing. She never did go into heat, so I assumed that she had been spayed.

If you're keeping her inside and your male cat is fixed, then you might as well just wait and see as well. I would think that if she were unspayed, she would have gone into heat within 6 weeks, but it could just be that it isn't the right time of year for that. From what I understand, cats are seasonal breeders, so there may be times of the year when heat won't occur for longer spans of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts