Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get some information about one of our cat's behavior. We have a male cat about 3 years old. He's not a shy cat, he lies around in public.

Recently we have acquired a new cat about 2 years old from the SPCA. We have had her for about 1 month. The new cat is a female and is a shy sweet cat. There was a phase that there was hissing and rash behaviors from each cat toward each other. That phase is over and they are now used to seeing each other, but the male has acquired this new annoying habit. I don' t know if it's a habit or a cat instinct or what.

All I know is that it is getting out of hand. What he does is --- EVERYTIME he sees the other cat he rushes her and tackles her down. Pinning her underneath him. She runs most of the time, but he just takes off chasing her until he pins her. She hates this and ends up squealing like a pig, swats at him, and tries to escape him.

He doesn't have bad intentions, because he doesn't bite at her or hiss. Is there someway getting him to stop this crazy behavior?

AC

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just because he doesn't bite or hiss does not mean he has no bad intentions. My vet told me the "rule of thumb" because my cat sometimes attacks my other cat... the rule is that if the other cat's quality of life is being reduced, due to having to hide all the time, etc. then you have a problem.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't know. If you find out, please tell me. I've had moderate success with play therapy, as in, exercising him. But he gets real lazy and stops chasing things, then 5 minutes later is excited again but won't chase it. Still, that helps some. But there are still days where he just feels like starting up a fight.

·
Registered
917 Posts
my cats chase each other and wrestle all the time. they jump on each other, bite, try to pin the other down, it's all just playing. are you certain they aren't playing?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well I know MY cats aren't playing. It's always one attacking the other. Furthermore, the "victim" frequently hisses, spits, and growls, with ears back. Sometimes the other cat appears to want to play, but his random attacks at other times have made her hate him being near for the most part.

Of course, if they are both sleepy they get along fine. Just the other day they were bathing each other in the middle of the night after a long nap.

There have been a couple of times where they seemed to be playing. That's about it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This seems quite normal to me, cats , esp young cats like to play ruff with eachother. We had two cats that had lived together since kittenhood, and they both played ruff with eachother till the day they died, inc. hissing etc. If you start to find balls of hair and other signs that your cat is being harmed in some way, then start to try and fix the behavior, but for now, i really dont know if there is anything u can do to stop it. g'luck.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The cat needs some distraction. Are you doing play therapy *every* day at a predictable time? This is a crucial part of the program. The cat needs to know that he will get his playtime regularly. See http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012 for details. Other articles in the library on petting and play aggression might also be useful to read.

If there is real animosity going on, flower essences like Peacemaker or Bully might be helpful. See www.spiritessence.com .

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
42 Posts
:lol: Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it sounds a whole lot like your male cat is trying to mate with your female cat. I hear that spading doesn't always remove such habits from males, even though it usually works for females. Just a thought....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trying to mate.....That's one possibility I never thought of. Usually I don't spray our cats, but yesterday everytime he tried to bullrush -- I sprayed him. I don't know if he will correlate the water and his rushing, hopefully he will. I will check out some of those scents to see if that calms him down. He is usually a hard cat to play with because nothing amuses him besides the other cat and of course -- FOOD.

He's usually a very vocal cat, whether its for food, attention, or irritation. I have noticed that if the other cat stays in one spot and growls at him, he will walk around like a scolded little boy. Sniffing around and making these weird chirping noises with his meow.

AC

·
Registered
42 Posts
Annoying_Cat said:
He's usually a very vocal cat, whether its for food, attention, or irritation. I have noticed that if the other cat stays in one spot and growls at him, he will walk around like a scolded little boy. Sniffing around and making these weird chirping noises with his meow.
awwww.... he sounds a lot like Pebbles when Pebbles got himself a crush on Toffee. He'd follow her everywhere, try to kiss her, hug her, call for her and do stunts to impress her - like leaping up the piano in a single bound, although he spent more time embarassing himself on account of his weight and him being a persian, the fur on his paws didn't grip too well. Toffee obviously wasn't much impressed, even we humans don't impress her. Especially when he follows her to the loo and watches her as she does her business, which she hates! The privacy flap on their litter box didn't help much 'cos he'd literally open the flap to gaze at her majesty... heh... And everytime she slapped him on the face, bit him on the butt and hissed at him, he'd cry and moan like an broken hearted kitty. Poor boy...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts