Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some info for people who are getting into raw.

I feed Miu and Rocky the dog raw. Both display some difficulty with the bones. Like as they're crunching, they'll turn their heads sideways for leverage. My god, when I first gave Cap'n Jack an experimental quail drumstick. He ate like it was absolutely nothing, like it was a regular piece of meat! I could hear his teeth/jaw just crunching on it powerfully. WOW! I used to have qualms...not anymore.

For Miu, she didn't like quail wing tips which is what I fed at the onset for introduction. She even tossed them out of her plate. I then tried the mid-section which she ate. But ha! I beat her at her own game. I started to give her the entire wing with drumstick, mid-section and tip all together. She had no choice asides from chewing it off. I see that she's grudgingly accepted it. HA!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It's interesting how different cats take to it differently! Sometimes even when prior experience isn't a factor.

Apollo is...eating impaired. He doesn't seem to understand how to chew food. Even when he eats canned or ground raw he makes a huge mess because he just licks it across the plate and refuses to bite it. So far any meat chunks I give him have to be cut into tiny pieces, and any time he's had bone so far, he gives up fairly quickly.

Athena on the other hand, eats anything like a pro. The first time I ever gave her a chunk of raw chicken (it was a big chunk too!) she just gnawed it right up, no problems at all!

It's funny because I don't think either of them had much time (if any) on their own before going to shelters/rescues. But with Athena, you'd think she'd been eating raw her whole life! XD

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Susan: You're probably right! He's wary and skittish, but man, he's one powerfully muscular guy. It's darn funny. Like a WWF guy doing ballet or something. I feel if he wanted to he can snap Miu's neck in half. Some days I worry when I see him slap her back after she bullies him.

I think Miu has to build up her jaw strength.

On a side note: why do they always have to drag the meaty bones off the plate and eat it on the ground?! Sigh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts