Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've been letting Jack out during the day, on and off. He's been doing well. Not damaging anything or fooling around. (Perhaps because he's still exploring and getting used to the place.) He spends his time sitting around on the sofas a lot.

Miu seems disgusted at him if he tries to bonk heads with her. She'll give him this look, side-swipe smack him or twack him on the forehead then run away. HAHA. Rocky seems to love him to bits though. He didn't even protest when Jack tried to steal his dinner. Rocks has also tried to play with Jack. He'd go up to him and lift his butt in the air. Bark a bit. Jack would sit like a lump and look at him thinking he's nuts.

We still lock Jack back in his room when we all go out or when it's meal time. As a previous stray, he's still very anxious about food. He WILL fearlessly try and steal food from the others.

I can confidently say his previous owner let him be a full time outdoor cat or if ever in the house, he was locked in a room. The other day when I turned on the TV, his eyes grew as big as saucers. I don't think he ever saw a TV before. Everything is new to him.

He's started to groom more now that he's feeling more at ease. He also spends a lot of time just sitting around staring into space. I think he was so focused on finding food before, he knew nothing else. Now that he doesn't have to look for food or find a warm place to sleep, he has no idea what to do with his free time. He doesn't know how to play with toys. He's only started to try when he saw Miu playing with some cat balls and toys. But he didn't know how to play so he just held it with both paws and gave it experimental bites. Hhah, for some reason, I was laughing because he looked so lost. 'Mom, Miu seemed to be having a good time but what do I do with this thing?'

Last night, we let him out overnight for the first time. It seemed fine. Yay!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Letting him get used to things gradually in his own time and the other cats too was definitely the right way to go. Not surprised things are going so smoothly. Most females like to put males in their place, right? :?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm so happy to hear everything is going so well with Jack and that he's now getting along with Miu and Rocky. You will have a lot of fun watching him "learn the ropes"!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Well at least he's not so timid now. Even though he's still scared when I lift my arms up and he runs to hide behind the sofa. You can see out of the corner of your eye, that he's sticking his head out to peek. Hopefully, over time he'll realize I would never hit him.

Ah, by the way, Rocky is a dog. Hence the miscommunication between Rocky and Jack. HAHA! Different languages.

Oh, but he's such a good boy. When I have to put him back into the cat room, he either meows for a bit and stops or he doesn't let out a peep. He doesn't try to claw his way out or make a nuisance of himself. He even runs back into the room for comfort if he feels unsafe.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ah, by the way, Rocky is a dog. Hence the miscommunication between Rocky and Jack.
I'm glad to hear he's a dog, after all, did you not say he barked?

I'm glad things are going so well, and that he has a compassionate guardian now.

It took Zenobi about four months to realize she wasn't going to get beaten after she'd used her litterbox. I think her previous human had been doing that because she spread litter quite a lot.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone mentioned Jack and other cats. Just wanted to clarify Miu is the only other cat and Rocky is a dog. :)

Yes, Rocky is Papillon!

Thanks for the compliments!

I'm very proud of Jack. He seems to be trying hard to fit in and accept us all. Even if he spooks and runs to hide, he recovers and comes out of his hiding place faster now.

I'm still surprised about how mild mannered he is. He never loses his temper or patience with Miu when she smacks him around or with Rocky when he chases him around to sniff his butt.

If he's not busy being spooked, he acts like one of those resident cats you see if you go into a store. Sits around quietly, lazying around. I'm starting to fall in love with him more and more each day.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
When you speak about Jack, I'm reminded of Muffin. She doesn't like to be picked up or sit on laps, and she still spends time hiding. But she is so extremely gentle and mild-mannered that you just can't help but love her.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I patiently await the day when he climbs into my lap! Although he's timid, he does like to be in the presence of people.

Anyways, I'd like to share some pics. He's sitting right beside me. I tossed him the toy, but he didn't know what to do with it, so he just held it. Notice the softened look in his eyes. It's so much more mellow now than when I first got him. He always had a fight or flight look before. Now I'm so happy that he finally has a content, comfortable look.

I thought the lighting was bad so I tried a flash...oops! Poor boy just squinted but didn't run away. Notice Miu fooling around in the box in the background. HAHA.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Mui's looking for the EASY button in that Staples box. She's hoping it will produce instant Tuna and catnip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts