Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this month marks month #5 for Captain Jack Jack. Our journey together keeps on getting better and better. He's made a couple of milestones that any ma would be proud of.

1) He still stays in his 'homebase' catroom, but occasionally, you won't find him there. He's started to venture upstairs sometimes, to sleep on the cat beds there, call me for breakfast or look out on a perch at the front yard.

2) He screwed up the courage to jump on my bed. It was hilarious when I opened my eyes to see him looking at me seriously with his perfect tuxedo suit like a butler and sitting up all proper. 'Madam, it is time to get up.' HAHA!

3) I was able to pluck him from a cat tree, hold him in my arms and then carry him into an adjoining room. He looked a bit startled like 'what's going on?' But he stayed put until I got to the other room, then he indicated he wanted down and I placed him on the floor. He quickly turned around for some cheek rubs! So he definitely wasn't scared!

4) He's started to respond to Miu's bullying/play attempts. She'll slap him and he'll lightly tap her back. He seems to know his own strength and is never too rough with her, but he will 'fight' back now. He used to sit there and just take it. I'd cringe when I hear her smack him so hard on the noggin you can hear a thud. But I don't intervene unless it turns nasty.

5) He doesn't run off at the slightest sound anymore. I can drop something on the floor by accident, he'll just make like he's going to run, but turns around to look first. After that, he usually stands his ground.

6) BIGGEST ONE! My uncle from the States came to visit. Miu shot off, not to be found. (scaredy cat!). Jack stayed in his room and watched curiously! At one point, he stuck out his neck so much he looked like a goose! Another time, my uncle was able to go up to him and look at him for a bit before Jack thought it was too much and walked away. But he WALKED away, he didn't run skittishly away.

I'm so proud of him!!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Wonderful progress from the scaredy-cat feral that hid behind the toilet and wouldn't even look at you. Bravo! Cap'n Jack, and to you too for your loving patience.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
That's great news. I remember back to the days when Jack was locked up in your bathroom and always hid. He's come a long way since then. I'm so happy to hear everything has worked out so well for all of you. But, it seems to me it's time for you to post some updated pictures!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, pictures you'll be wanting! Here you go!!

And here's one of him in mid-meow:

And how could I miss a pic of my pretty little Miu Miu sitting on my router and possibly clogging it with cat hair? It's like her personal heat pad or something.

And wait, ah, a modem! Just right. Now I can warm my butt AND my front paws too!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Yeah, pictures! Captain Jack is such a sweetie. I laughed when I saw the picture of him in mid-meow. And Miu is soooo pretty, especially in that first picture. She looks like a little angel. She also knows how to keep warm!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another wonderful update:

As a side effect of confining and re-litter training Miu, I was also forced lock Jack into his cat room along with her. His litterbox is in there and I do not want to screw up his litterbox routine in the middle of this.

I spent a night last weekend in the cat room overnight with them and it seems to have worked wonders to Jack bonding with me. He's started to sleep with me on the sofa now. He'll jump up and curl near my legs. He's careful to position himself so that his body is against my legs. He follows me around even more, sitting around and talking sometimes. I think he'll be a lapcat soon. Wah ha ha!

One of the funny things is when I had to lock them, sometimes I open the door and Jack dashes out. I leave him outside since he's not the one who needs litter training. However, when he sees that I've gone inside the cat room, he'll double back and stand in front of the door. He then asks to be let in again. LOL! Sometimes, he walks off and doesn't immediately double back. On those occasions, I leave him be. When he appears, I open the door and say 'Come in Jack', and he does!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It's wonderful to hear Jack is bonding with you more and more...perhaps a few more nights in the cat room are in order!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts