Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you take your kitties for car trips around town to run errands? I thought about taking Cheetah to pick up my son today from school, but don't know if she'd pee in the car. Do you think she would require a litter box for a quick trip? I would leave a collar and lead on her so she wouldn't be able to escape and she's caught up on all of her shots and such. And by the way, can you have a cat microchipped like you can dogs? Thanks, Malinda and Chi Chi

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey not sure about the whole car trip idea s i am not a driver, however you can have cats microshipped, it is around £20 here is the UK not sure what it would be in dollors though

·
Registered
917 Posts
i actually just got off the phone with a vet, micro-chipping there costs $35, plus a reg fee of $13. but i'm sure it differs per vet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are "car cats". The closest soulmate I ever had was a domestic shorthair who died of lymphoma after four months of chemo last year. He was the most awesome car cat. He loved car rides. He'd lie in the rear window and chill out, or come sit on my lap and relax, or stand at the window and watch the cars go by. His favorite was going through drive-thrus. He loved to look at all the things going on in the parking lot. He'd run errands with me everywhere, and in stores where he was allowed, he'd walk on his leash and scope things out, greet people, etc. He only had one accident, and that was my fault. During chemo, he had to have LOTS of IV fluids. One day after his treatment, on the way home, I stopped at one too many stores, and he peed on the seat just before we got home. That was only a few days before he died.

I have two other car cats, too. But I have a couple who are DEFINITELY not car cats. They get so nervous on car rides that they poop, pee, or throw up. It's an individual thing, but your best chance is if you start taking them for rides early. However, I have heard that Bengals make good car cats.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really wouldn't advise driving with your cat unless it's absolutely necessary, and even then ensure your cat is in a proper cat carrier, and try to get a seatbelt around the carrier...I'm not passing any judgement on your driving, but accidents can happen at any time-I had one recently and it was due to the other driver-if your cat is lying on the parcel shelf then it is going to go flying, and most probably get injured...why put something you love in a position of unnecessary risk?

Also, you really don't want a cat around your feet when your trying to control a 2 ton piece of steel...

Just my opinion, of course 8)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well for cats whom are well adjusted to trips like this, it's fine.

My Asim and Isha used to do great in the car. They didn't even need a carrier but would be restrained in a car much like a dog would be, in it's own seat.

But I stopped doing it for a while, and now they are no longer used to it and freak out.

Everyone loved seeing my kitties at petstores, with their harness & leash, sitting in the cart while I was shopping. :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cats love car trips. I usually take them at night when it's not so busy and scary and I have my bf driving usually. They do not need a litterbox for a quick trip and even for a long one we don't use it. Im sure they would start meowing or something b/c they have never had any accidents in the car *knock on wood*...I think people don't usually see cats in cars so I get funny looks sometimes when at a drive thru or something but then again I'd do a double take too.

Twinkie likes to lie down in the back seat or where you put your feet, Sugar loves to snuggle in my lap or put her paws near the window ledge and look out. It's so cute!

One time when driving, Sugar was perched out on the ledge of the door and staring out and the cat next to us turned his head around and did a triple take I guess b/c I guess he was like "what is that staring at me, it's certainly not a dog..." It was soooo funny b/c Sugar can look real evil sometimes! :twisted:

Btw, you can get a cat microchipped just like a dog. I'd definitely recommend it and I dont think it would cost much either. My cats were already microchipped from the shelter though. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to everyone who replied about taking Cheetah on short car trips. She had to go to the vet last Thursday to be spayed and I kept her in the carrier, even when I opened the door she wouldn't come out. She didn't cry or act crazy, so I think she would like it, but I think I will check into a kitty seat belt or something of the like for her as I would hate to think what might happen if we should be in an accident! Thanks, Malinda

·
Registered
84 Posts
My youngest, Ming, loves car rides, even though I've read where they claim no cat loves to ride that some just tolerate it better. I have never put her in a car carrier and don't plan on it if I can help it. She sits very nicely and usually sleeps if it's a long ride. We took her to FL with us at Christmas. The first day was a 10 hour ride and the second was about 7 or 8. She only got restless about the last 1 1/2 hours the first day, but her restless acting is better than my other two cat's "good car riding".

She got used to riding in the car because when we first got her last summer we took her back and forth with us on weekends to our lake house. I plan on continuing that as much as possible this summer. We even took her out on our boat. She likes the water and would get all four paws into the water at the jetski ramp.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I say get her used to the car...take baby steps...like with the carrier. I think that cats should be able to do all the fun stuff dogs can do! We shouldn't stereo type them! :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That actually sounds like a great idea! It's such a pain to take my boxer out on the boat, plus my husband makes it a bigger deal than it really is, so Cheetah would be perfect :D Can cats swim at all? I wouldn't want her to jump! We do a lot of boating during the summer months and mostly find a cove and hang out. I'll start with baby steps now and maybe by summer she'll be ready to head out on the water!

·
Registered
84 Posts
We had her on the boat in September when it was quieter on Lake of the Ozarks. We were fishing, my husband off the front and me off the back. I heard a splash and thought he'd caught a fish. He threw down his pole and scooped Ming out of the water. He said she was dogpaddling, so they can swim. Thought maybe she had learned a lesson not to get too close to the edge, but when we went out later that afternoon, so was right by the edge again. In fact, she fell into my bathwater last weekend because she got too close. Whenever I take a bath, she tries to put her front paws on my leg so that she can lean in and drink. She's definitely not a normal cat when it comes to water!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts