Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeding a cat that is living in my garage and is possibly feral. At first I thought it was one of two forclosure kitties next door, but now that I've seen it up close I'm not sure, it looks young, like an older kitten even. I am unable to bring it inside at the moment as I have 6 cats indoors (3 mine, 3 fosters), but I hope to have fewer cats by winter and be able to bring it in and see if it's feral.

In the meantime I would like to continue caring for it outside and provide the best environment I can for it. Priority one is trapping and getting it fixed before it reproduces. I have a trap coming tomorrow. I want to get it spay/neutered, combo tested, vetted as much as I can, but if it is feral I will have to release it again.

So.....question 1...do T&R cats usually stay in the area? Is it neccessary to get the ear tipped? I'd rather not if I could adopt it out or make it a house cat at some point.

Question 2...I have a set up in the garage, a comfy chair, a table with a box of old linens under it that it appears to be sleeping in, food, water. The door is always open, it is a detached garage and I'm afraid it would get too hot if I tried to close it in. Weather is nice right now...does that sound ok?

Question 3...any way to tell after I trap it how tamable it will be?

The cat is all black and I named it Mouse, figured that works for a boy or girl.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thank you for taking care of the cat.
Use, TNR cats usually stay in the area IF there is enough food. I have been feeding a colony of around 10 cats, around five have been previously owned, for around two years. The really feral cats have become somewhat more accustom to me but not a lot. The stray/dumped cats, continue to let me pet them. During the same time period, I TNRd 35 cats, obviously not all stuck around to dine at "my restaurant" (a/k/a dumpster).
Regarding ear tipping, if this is the only cat you see, then not necesary. But some organization requires ear tipping (Alley Cat Allies), although if you explain you plan to foster the cat, then they might waive that requirement. I ear tip the cats I TNR, it's the only way I can tell if it's a new cat that I need to TNR.
The garage set up seems fine. Though depending on where you live, you might look into safe heat sources; straw works well in an igloo device (search the internet and cat forums for pictures, how to).
Regarding tamming Mouse, you can get an idea NOW how tamable Mouse might be. How close can you get to Mouse? Can you sit kind of near her when she is eating? The optimal age is around three months or less, but my friend rescued Ritz and her brothers and sisters when they were closer to five or six months old. And, Ritz is a lap cat and likes her belly rubbed (but still skittish--that's simply her personality; her brothers and sisters aren't like that). A lot depends on the cat; it's them not you.
I can tell you in my experience there is little correlation to how the cat reacts in the trap to how tamable they will be. The cat that reacted the most violently when TNRd turned out to be a real love bug who purrs 24x7. Though he hates other cats with a passion.
In conclusion, I would certainly first get it fully vetted, including tested for FIV/FELK and continue feeding Mouse after he is neutered/spayed.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'll throw in some opinions. If you pay "full fare" for the spay/nuter then YOU call the shots and can tip or not, your choice. If you are using one of the many groups out there that assist people in TNRing then a lot depends on how "rule bound" they are and your personal relationship is with them. I have had a few, what I considered adoptable cats fixed and not tipped but I have a long relationship whith them and it still took some talking.

You didn't say where you are from, but unless it's really cold/damp your garage with a few amenities will be fine. Out of the wind and wet is the primary concern. The recommended straw bales is an excellent suggestion and is one that I also use. One of the low watt kitty beds is an option as well. Straw is better than linens and such things that tend to hold moisture.

Given food, shelter and security there is an excellent chance that mouse will stick around, I would :)

As far as training goes, I don't have anything to offer.

Good on ya and good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in north Georgia, the weather is great right now and will be until mid November. The closest I have gotten is a couple of feet when I accidentally walked up on her (could be him) eating. She first ran into her box then when I started talking to her ran out past me and into the woods. I was afraid I had spooked her and she wouldn't come back but she came back and ate later that day. I have only been feeding her a couple of weeks, never seen her before that, but I am certain by her condition she is not currently owned, and she is the only one I've seen. She looks to be 6 months to a year old.

Oh, and as far as her vetting, I will either use project catsnip which is $60 or a free spay/neuter place a friend told me about, but it is a longer drive. I read through a couple of trapping threads and I will try to have an appointment ready before I trap her. I will ask them not to tip the ear since she is not part of a colony.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I would still have her ear tipped, just in case someone else down the line traps her. It would be a shame to have the vet open her up, just to find that she's been spayed already. Just a thought.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Of course it would depend on the local situation, but if you aren't concerned about your cat being picked up by the authorities (primarily) or any one else I wouldn't worry much about the tip. I think that it is SOP to "tattoo" a mark on the stomach now as an indicator that the cat was fixed. If you really want to go the distance, so to speak, you can have it "chipped". Chipping free roaming stray/feral that is being provided for is not uncommon. Of course if it's picked up have a good story ready :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the trap yesterday and Project Catsnip is doing a clinic in my area on Thursday, so hopefully I can swing that. Problem is she hasn't been to eat in two days. I think I will wait and see how feral she is before I decide to tip or not, and I'm also planning to call local ac and ask what their policy is on picking up strays, do they pick up tipped cats or not, etc.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cat is back and has been eating regularly, so the trap is baited and set tonight. Fingers crossed, and fingers crossed that she ends up not being feral because we will both have a lot more options if she isn't.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I posted just now she has managed to go in the trap and eat all the food without tripping it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it! It's an older kitten and it's pissed. Scrambling to figure out what to do now as we missed catsnip...had to be there at 7 and I got it sometime between 6:30 and now.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugh I have no idea what to do now. The cat is currently loose in my garage, it got out when I was attempting to transfer it from the trap to a plastic crate large enough for a litterbox, food, water, but small enough for transport. Luckily I closed the garage door first. I guess it's fine in there for now. I *think* it's a boy. Hopefully I can trap it again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Poor little guy is not happy with you! Too bad he doesn't know the wonderful life that awaits him! Maybe "Mouse" should be "The Mouse That Roared".:wink:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here's where it stands right now....after I got him in the trap this morning I went down to the humane society and talked to a couple of people there that had feral experience. They were very helpful, loaned me the large travel crate and even gave me some calming spray. Since I missed project catsnip this morning I rescheduled for Oct. 3. They said they can do everything while he is out, combo test, worm, clip nails, neuter, vaccinate...I don't know if the rescue is going to pay for this one, I haven't asked since I do think he is a true feral and not adoptable, but the cost shoule be under $100 anyway. Next thing I have to do is trap him again on Tuesday, lol. I plan to sit out in the garage several times a day until then and see if I can make any progress. The ladies at the humane society both said they tamed ferals that they had found at 6-7 months, so we'll see.

On a positive note, he is cute, not too underweight, eyes and fur look good, and there doesn't seem to be anything visibly wrong with him. He seems to be right at that age where they still look like kittens but are just starting to look like cats, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You are on the right track, and many here thank you for your efforts.

If you trap him again, just leave him in the trap, don't try to put him into a travel crate. The vets who work with cats like these are experienced in handling cats in humane traps.

In case you can't trap him - he's safe in your garage for now. It might be the best place to work on taming him. Resist the temptation to let him go because he's unhappy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Project catsnip won't take him in the trap even though they say they do ferals, so I may end up going to my regular vet. I called them and they said they do ferals every Friday...that would up my cost by about $100 but I do like my vet.

I am still hoping beyond hope that he has had some human contact in the past, as I am in a subdivision and there are no other ferals around, no colony, not even any outdoor pet cats at the moment. It's like he just sprang into existance a month ago.

I have done some reading and it looks like results are mixed with taming ferals over 12 weeks, but since I've got him I'm going to try. He's a real piece of work, I literally watched him climb the wall in my garage last night.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
12 weeks is really young. I think you'll see results pretty quick. I know it doesn't seem like that now! But some important barriers should come down in the next month or so if you're able to spend time with him.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm feeling more hopeful tonight. I've been doing alot of reading and talking to a friend who does alot of work with ferals, and on her advise I sat out there with a can of salmon and sang songs tonight...and some people go on dates on Friday, ha.....he sat several feet away and watched me and didn't hide again after he saw that I noticed him. He also sat up and turned to look at me when I moved out of view.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts