Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help us please. Our otherwise sweet cat is scratching the fibers out of our carpeted stairs and on occasion likes the back of the couch. :(

We have tried the spray stuff, sticky stuff and Purrfectpaws (sp?) to no avail. She has the cardboard box and two different kinds of scratching posts. She'll roll around and scratch the cardboard for a second but doesn't even look at the posts. We found that she liked two of our folding chairs which we gave to her but she still likes the carpet! Someone said to use a plastic runner on the stairs but that would be difficult because it curves.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure exactly, but I'd just get a spray bottle of water (is that what you meant by spray stuff?) and spray whenever she scratches something she's not supposed to... and whenever she scratches her posts and cardboard give her a treat and pet her and talk nicey to her. If possible keep her out of the room she scratches stuff in while no one's home. Is there something you can rub on the posts to make her like them more? Those are my ideas.. hope they help. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Squirting and other punishments will only teach the cat not to scratch *when you are there*, and may also teach her to be afraid of you. Don't bother!

Those carpet runners are dirt cheap and can be cut to fit your stairs. Give it a try.

I also recently found a neat product that might be better than Sticky Paws for certain furniture items: http://www.purrfectpaw.com/index.html.

For the back of the couch, since that's a big territory, you might want to look at www.sssscat.com.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I tried the Stop Scratch spray and PurfectPaws again but it didn't work. I was thinking of using wide masking tape that match the stairs instead of nailing a plastic runner down. She seems to like where they curve. I'll let you know if it works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a similiar issue my cats are shredding my brand new area rug! And my wallpaper underneath their favorite windows to look out of. And the problem is that I'm not home during the day to catch them in the act.

My dh wants me to declaw them or get rid of them. I do NOT believe in declawing and I'm very upset. What do I do?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Octoberdana

I hope you don't have to get rid of them. I read that when they declaw that they actually take the whole digit off not only the nail. Your cats could be in pain for the rest of their lives. :(

Try the double stick tape from Softpaws under the windows. On your new area rug try a stop scratch spray. My cat didn't mind the spray but maybe it will work on yours. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
My cats used to do that to my walls when I was living in a house with high windows. Now that I live with low windows, it doesn't happen. Not that it is something you can change :? . What I had to do was put furniture in front of the windows so that they could jump up there first without having to dig their claws into the wall. I had to place my desk, bed, scratching post, etc, in front of the windows to get it to stop. I don't know if that is possible for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts