Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cats, Buddy, is a healthy 12 yr old. However, he gets beat up by the other two kitties that we have. So every day, many times, he uses the rug as a litter box. And when we catch him, he runs straight to where he is supposed to use, so he knows what hes doing. He uses the same spots, and continues to do so even after we changed litter and clean it everytime someone else uses it. Our house smells pee all the time!

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is such a tough one for me. I had the same problem some years ago with a female we had. She peed everywhere no matter what we did. Never could figure out why she did it. You may consider a trip to your vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. Our Vet pretty much gave up on our cat. He ran out of suggestions. We eventually had to make her an outdoor cat.

You probably won't have to go to that extreme. There are things you can do. Try putting the litter box where he pees. Try putting citrus peels on the carpet where he goes. You may have to confine him to a very small space and provide him with a litter box. Gradually move him to a bigger space until you can let him roam the house again. You can also purchase "Nature's Miracle Best Behavior" spray. You just spray it on the spot he's using and it keeps them away. You also must clean the spots where he's going. "Nature's Miracle" also makes an odor remover. There are other brands out there too. Use a carpet shampooer if you can. It will get down deep into the carpet.

There are more remedies but just can't think of them right now. I know there are others out there that will post with more suggestions for you.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Can you tell us a little more about the litter box? Is it covered? How many are there?

Chances are he's peeing on the rug because he's getting ambushed by the other two cats while he's trying to use the box. If it's covered, uncover it. If you have only one box, get more. A good rule of thumb is to have one box for each cat and one extra for good measure.

Also, use the enzyme cleaner as baggy suggested. If you don't, the cat (and probably the other two as well) will continue to pee on the rug, even if you've solved the root of the problem.

Moved to the behavior forum. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I tend to agree with Annissa. The first thought that came to me was that perhaps he's peeing on the rug to establish it as "his".....if he's getting picked on all the time, he may feel desperate to have some territory of his own? It's just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts