Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Casper for about 8 months. Casper is a registered "exotic shorthair"....in other words, a Persian, he has very long hair, although I got him body clipped about 3 weeks ago, too many mats. He's a year and a half old, neutered and declawed. He's very outgoing and affectionate, and very playful. Shortly after we got him we noticed he was urinating behind the TV, so we blocked it so that he couldn't get back there anymore, we thought that stopped it. During the last couple of months he's been urinating on the carpet at least once or twice a week. He's been ill with a UTI, he's been to the vet twice, his last check up revealed that his UTI is cleared up, that was a little over a week ago. Yet, he is still urinating on the carpet. The vet asked me if he was urinating in the same place every time, he wasn't, until now. She said that if he was urinating in different places, that it was probably an aftermath of the UTI, but that if he was urinating in the same place each time, that it is now a habit. Well, Casper has urinated in the same place 3 times this week. Our home is brand new, it's not even a year old yet. I simply cannot have this. My husband and I are both attached to Casper, but feel that we need to find him a new home, but then on the other hand, how do you give away a cat that has made a habit of urinating on the carpet? I can't see anyone wanting him because of his "issue". Last night I locked him in the bathroom with a litter box, food and water. I don't know what else to do, I'll let him out when we're able to watch him, but other than that, his home is now the bathroom. Both my husband and I work full time, plus we breed, raise, train, and sell horses, so that's like a 2nd full time job. I know that a "bathroom home" is not a suitable full time home for a cat, but I'm out of options. I've tried changing the type of litter that I use, I've tried the crystals, I've tried taking the lid off of the enclosed litter box and just leaving it open, I've tried the enzyme carpet cleaners, but the odor continues. Casper will do his "other business" in the litter box, just not the most important "business"!! Casper has a buddy that he plays with and gets along great with, she's our other house cat, Reba, so it's not like he's desperately lonely, although I'm sure he is right now because he's separated from her because he's in the bathroom. I'm sorry this is so long, but if anyone has any suggestions or wants to give Casper a new home, please respond or email me directly. We are located in Fort Cobb, OK, which is about 35 miles West of Chickasha, OK. I have pictures of Casper to send if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Have you cleaned the spots that Casper urinated on? I don't mean just a little wash, but a deep clean, with an enzymatic cleaner and maybe even a steam machine? If not, he will continue to smell his urine and associate the places with the toilet. You might need to replace the carpet (and the pad if it is wall-to-wall), but that is MUCH preferable to replacing the kitty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rayona

Hi Rayona,

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I'm not sure if I'm responding correctly in the forum so that it appears as a reply and not a new post...oh well.

<<I've tried changing the type of litter that I use, I've tried the crystals, I've tried taking the lid off of the enclosed litter box and just leaving it open, I've tried the enzyme carpet cleaners, but the odor continues. >>

I'm on my 2nd enzyme cleaner now, I just bought it so I'll try this one on "the place" tonight when I get home. I sure don't want to give Casper up, but I won't have my brand new home and my brand new carpet urinated on.

<<You might need to replace the carpet (and the pad if it is wall-to-wall), but that is MUCH preferable to replacing the kitty.>>

I also have to think about my husband. Our home is brand new, therefore the carpet is brand new. If it comes to being forced to replacing the carpet, there is no way that my husband will agree to trying to keep Casper. So I'm at the beginning stages of having to choose between my husband and my cat! lol

A friend of mine said that she knows someone that would put foil over "the places" once she thoroughly cleaned them, that it would help deter the cat from urinating there because they wouldn't want to get their feet wet. Well, I tried that also, Casper just plays with the foil and tears it up, pretty soon I've got little bits and pieces of foil all over the house! lol

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Im sorry that I dont have much advise for you except cleaning thoroughly the places where he has urined. My cats dont do this but one time when they were little, one of them keep peeing around the water bowl and that stopped after one or two times. Another time they peed right on the carpet near the water bowl but I cleaned it up not knowing who it was and it didnt happen again, thank goodness. I honestly hope the problem clears up b/c I would hate to have you give up your kitty. I do understand about the house problem b/c though I was in another apt. before/ it is worse b/c we would have to pay for the whole carpet if the apt made us. :cry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts