Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cats that both weight 7.5 lbs and are a little over 1 year old, close to 1.5. I'd like to take them in the same carrier to the vet. Every time I look at carriers at the store, I can't make a decision!

So, can anyone suggest a specific carrier that would work?

The one I have is now to small for either of them.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
For 2 cats, you could just get a small dog crate. They have them at any pet store. I'm not sure of the brand that I used for my dogs because I let someone borrow it.

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
I have one like this, but I'm pretty sure mine is larger. I love it, I put the twins in there together.

If you google "soft large cat carriers" you'll get a lot of ideas.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
G-PEG,
I've been using this for my two kitties trip to the vet:
(except my top is brown instead of blue, but currently the brown costs a lot more!)

Granted, it's big, bulky, and heavy (especially with 2 ten pounders inside), but they fit and cuddle close to the other during the short ride to the vet clinic. If however, your vet is a long ride, you might consider something bigger.

I'd love to get a soft carrier, but my kitties would nibble and claw at the mesh or other parts of the fabric, I'm sure. I've had a canvas travel bag they've taken a liking to scratching already, so it wouldn't work for me, but I'm sure it works fine for others. Let us know which one you eventually get, I'd be curious to know since I'm always taking my two in even if only one needs to be seen.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
19" high, 18" wide and 24" long. Plenty of room for both bratz. When I visit my vet, I get so many compliments on it. I got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond ($19.00) about 8 years ago, but they haven't sold this one in years. One of my all-time best purchases. I bought two but I haven't seen the other one in ages, I may have let someone borrow it and never got it back.

I've seen some really nice ones for dogs, you might try googling that instead of cats.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks. I have a little pink one like this and it seems like they should fit. I could never get my other cat in it though because the opening is small and when I tried she splayed her legs out! I see this one has a top door, so maybe it would work. I am a tiny big hesitant to get a cloth bag.

19" high, 18" wide and 24" long.
Thanks, good to know size at least. I found yours and read some reviews on Amazon. One said it no longer has plywood in the bottom, just a foam mat so they fall into their hole. Ha ha. I could easily add a piece of plywood.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
The top door makes it easy for the anyone to take the kitties out of the carrier. Especially on the vet's exam table. I've had mine since my two were kittens, so it was roomy then. Not so much anymore, but they do keep each other comforted during car rides and when at the clinic lounge where some dogs are, though I try to sit away from the pooches for them.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
G-PEG,
The only thing I'll say, is whatever carrier you end up with, make it one that also has the top entry! It is so much easier to get cats in, and out of!!:p:D
Sharon

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
Mine doesn't have top entry, but I turn it on its end to drop the cats in.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
19" high, 18" wide and 24" long. Plenty of room for both bratz. When I visit my vet, I get so many compliments on it. I got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond ($19.00) about 8 years ago, but they haven't sold this one in years. One of my all-time best purchases. I bought two but I haven't seen the other one in ages, I may have let someone borrow it and never got it back.

I've seen some really nice ones for dogs, you might try googling that instead of cats.
Most things I'm looking at are 11 - 12 inches in height. Hmmm.

G-PEG,
The only thing I'll say, is whatever carrier you end up with, make it one that also has the top entry! It is so much easier to get cats in, and out of!!:p:D
Sharon
Mine doesn't have top entry, but I turn it on its end to drop the cats in.
I want a top entry. I've used that trick before with a pop up carrier. Marie, does your soft carrier have a hard bottom?

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
It has a wood piece inside a removable/washable soft cover.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It has a wood piece inside a removable/washable soft cover.
Thanks. So far I've come up with these 2. Seriously, I think I'm having size delusions. I thought the first one could work. Then read reviews, one included a photo of a cat in it and really it only looks like it would work for one. Size is 20 x 11.5 x 12. The second has several sizes and it's the tallest of what I've looked at. I thought maybe the large size. Looking again I'm thinking medium. I'm making this too hard I think!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Soft-Sided-Kennel-Carrier-Large/dp/B002RT8Z8Q[/ame]

Pet Life Deluxe 360 Vista View Pet Carrier | Crates | PetSmart

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Marie, I believe this is the one you have. So I know that could work! Oh, I guess it's not. I was fooled by the same shape on the same page!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Go-Pet-Club-Crate-24-Inch/dp/B0015TT3LC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436155850&sr=8-3&keywords=petmate+portable+pet+home[/ame]

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
No, I think this is it:

Of course, there are many sizes to choose from, but it's not cheap!

I also think marie's cats are a bit smaller, 5-6 lbs each, so they'd fit in a smaller carrier.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I think this is it:
http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Portable-Taupe-Coffee-Grounds/dp/B002RT8ZCM/ref=pd_sbs_199_48?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KY27D42PZ644B8CZW5C

Of course, there are many sizes to choose from, but it's not cheap!

I also think marie's cats are a bit smaller, 5-6 lbs each, so they'd fit in a smaller carrier.
Thanks. I found it!

I think I'll go to a couple pet stores later this coming week now that I have a little bit better idea of size just to get a better visual.

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
The Go Pet one is closest to the one I have. Nobody has the exact one I have, they haven't made it in years. My girls are 7.25 and 7.5 lbs.

Here's a picture of my carriers from the website I posted a few years ago

They flatten down and fit inside the piece lying down in the picture.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My carrier is the larger one, 24" in length. (The exact measurements are listed on the link). But my cats are also bigger, at least 9 lbs each, so it's quite heavy with 2 cats. They can sit in there without being hunched over, which is nice. The one thing I was happy about is that the one time G had an accident at the vets, I was able to take it apart easily, wash it, and reassemble it without much hassle.

I do like Marie's soft carrier, though. I just hate to risk it if my cats peed, clawed or chewed on it. Perhaps if they are calmer adult cats in the future, lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.