Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay.....i need advice.....

last june (so that's about 7 months ago)....my brother found a teeny-tiny kitten in his barn.....her littermates were dead and the mother was gone (assumably the poor hit-and-run down the road)....

she was, as i said, teeny-wheensy.....she could eat soft kitten food...though she growled and wolfed it down fast.....understandably.....

over the last few months she has thrived.....she is enormous comparatively speaking.....but her behavior has gotten worse and worse....

i can't complain about litter or outside-of-the-box accidents....she doesn't shred anything to pieces.....she plays nicely with our cairn terrier (though she does rule that relationship too)

but she hunts constantly, loves to leap out from under the bed or sofa.....i can't pet her at all without her clawing and biting me....she will randomly attack me.....

but she is confusing.....because she follows me everywhere....makes a point of jumping on me.....sleeps near my head......

my husband is free from all this for the most part....he says it is because he has established that he is pack leader.....whereas i am a littermate..... because i did play with her from the get-go.....

even my vet says things like "she is a fiesty one" and that i need to "get control of her before she gets much older"....

how does one get control of a cat?

please....i need advice....because as crazy as she is....she is a piece of my heart.....and i can't imagine the house without her.....

but i can't trust her around anyone....especially my nieces and nephews....and she may have to go back to the farm...

..and no one will love her as much as i do....and that makes me heartsick for her :cry:

thanks in advance to any and all.....

ellie's human

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Re-direct her playing energy onto acceptable toys. When she jumps out at you, or bites, claws, grabs...whatever...tell her a sharp "No!" and try to get her to play with a toy. Don't let her play with 'you' without having a toy between you. All teeth/claws must play only with toys, not people.

Be firm and consistent and I'm sure she'll adjust her habits.
Heidi

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
If you haven't been clipping her claws, that would help keep things more pleasant too...

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
That all sounds pretty normal. Why can't you trust her? Has she bitten you or anyone else? I don't understand your angst. Please elaborate. Thanks.... :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coaster....she's clawed and nipped at my 7 year-old niece....and most of the little ones are scared of her....which i think adds to the tension....

i know she isn't angry or really feral.....i think she thinks she is just playing.....like she would with other cats....

she modulates her pressure with her claws and teeth...so i know she usually doesn't try to hurt anyone....she just slips up or gets over-stimulated....

i guess most of my angst comes from the escalating feelings....my husband is urging more and more to get her declawed or to give her away.... :(

i don't want to declaw her because she is an indoor/outdoor cat....and i definitely don't want to let her go....

i will try clipping her nails.....that will certainly be an adventure !! :lol:

i've tried bunches of different kinds of toys.....although right now she LOVES this box she found in the laundry room....

thanks for all the quick advice everyone!!

:eek:rcat

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
OK, what you're describing sounds like normal play bites. Cats need to learn that biting and scratching hurt humans. We're not covered with fur, so we're not protected from the scratching and biting that cats do to each when they're playing. Please use the Search function (top of page) to look for threads about biting. There's been oodles of discussion and recommendations on how to cope with this. Your cat can be taught not to scratch and bite.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
a good advice, and it has been given before, never play with a cat with yours hands. I've learned the hard way too, but i was able to stop it pretty soon and now i hardly get scratched anymore! As to the energy...my Tao used to be a bundle of energy as well. I got him a second cat (actually, even two - but one is just in my foster care) and he completely refocused his playing towards the other cats!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
It sounds like you've got yourself a normal kitty there. :D I figure she's about 7 mos? Tons of energy! I would definitely do the search Tim sugested to learn how to teach her to be more gentle and absolutely keep her nails trimmed. If you can't do it yourself (it can be a bit difficult at first) your vet or a groomer can do it for you for a little fee. My vet charges $5 for a nail trim and it should be done about every 10 days to 2 weeks if you want to keep them short.
Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Become the "Alpha Kitty".

She does something to you that isn't appreciated... hover over her and make hissing sounds... even swatting action (don't actually hit her though). Make sure you are getting reaction when you do this... like her backing up and looking at you like "What is wrong with you!"

You need to communicate with her on her terms as far as getting the message across.

Another thing you can try, is when she goes into "psycho" mode on you... grab her... hold like you would an infant cradled in your arms. Keep holding her like this... she will start to squirm... but give it a good 30 seconds then put her down. Rinse and repeat. She will quickly learn that this is the reaction she will get when hunting you... and will shy away from you as her target.

Whats the fun in hunting something when your gonna get cuddled! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts