Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO after getting up this morning I notice Casey (tabby, 5 years) licking his junk an awful lot. Then I saw him go over to my bed and squat as if he were trying to urinate, so I shooed him away and he went to the litter box and squatted and did nothing. (Somebody peed on my bed a few days ago, I am now guessing it was him.) I gave it a little time to see if he could work it out but he kept going in and out of the litter box (it's clean) and eventually he threw up. I decided to go ahead and take him to the emergency vet. They said his bladder wasn't too swollen and they gave me a $2000 treatment plan, figuring there was a blockage. I know this emergency vet is very expensive but I didn't want to leave him in any pain so we agreed to do a catheter and more simple tests and I will take him to the regular vet on Monday morning. Total bill, around $500.

I asked the vet let me know any emergency signs to watch for so I can rush him back if he gets worse. I'm really hoping this is routine though.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
They should of sent you home with an antibiotic too. UTI is nothing to fool with. It can kill a cat and it is extremely painful. Keep an eye of him whether he is still going in and out of his box. Measure how much pee is coming out.

I would take him into your vet immediately when they are open Monday morning to have a check. You might take them a pee sample too if you can get one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks M&T. That's what scared me. I guess it was a minor blockage, the emergency vet said it was easy to get the catheter in and his urine was normal, too (no blood, etc). They sent me home with Clavamox.

So I get Casey home and I open the cat carrier and he stays in there. I figure he's just traumatized by the rectal thermometer and the catheter experience. After an hour I finally shake him out, and he's still got the catheter sticking out of his thingy. So I had to bring him back again to have it removed. He still keeps going back into the cat carrier now. Bad day for poor little Casey.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
I would of been rip roaring mad if I found a vet or the vet tech forgot to remove the chateter in him. Poor baby. Maybe your regular vet will help you do what is best and not in a sloopy way.

A really helpful book to have around is The Natural Cat, the complete guide for finicky owners by Anitra Frazier. Ive seen it at our used book store and also seen it used on Amazon. Its just a good reference book to have around. On the web Little Big Cat has info on UTI also. (littlebigcat.com)

I would keep him on wet food during this. I just hope your guy doesnt have crystals. But you can tell from urine samples.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I too would not be pleased at the e-vet having left the catheter in. I hope Casey is feeling better soon and that it doesn't turn out to be too serious. Good luck tomorrow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, probably just a UTI. I just kind of panicked when he puked after straining for so long to urinate. He'll be fine, and I'll be happy :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts