Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
After a long year living in an apartment with a one pet policy, my husband and I moved somewhere where we could get another cat! Lola is the energizer bunny of cats, so I knew she would be a lot happier with a playmate that doesn't have to go to work all day.

We adopted Fievel from the local shelter. The first night he played, went to the litterbox, and scratched on a rather expensive scratcher that Lola refuses to even look at it. Ideal kitten. However, by the next morning he was obviously sick: sneezing, blowing snot bubbles, sniffling. The vet said it was a basic URI. We kept him in a spare bedroom quarantined from Lola and held off introducing them until he was better. Lola did get a glimpse of him through the doorway while I was walking into the room and she immediately hissed and then ran and hid under the coffee table.

Once he was better we did a slow introduction, building up to them being in the same room together. For awhile Lola was cool with him being in the same room, but if he got too close she would run and hide. Why she was scared of something almost an 1/8th of her size, I have no idea! Then she started investigating him while he was sleeping. Once, she licked the back of his head while he was asleep but when he moved she ran and hid in another room. Out of nowhere, she got some courage up and started thonking him on the head when he walked up to her. After she got the pecking order established, she decided she would allow Fievel to follow her around the house. That's pretty much where we are now. Fievel follows her around, and she mostly sniffs him a lot. This morning I saw her hold him down and lick his back, so things seem to be on the right track.

Fievel, in true kitten fashion, is mostly obliviously to anything besides what has his immediate interest, including Lola sniffing all over him. My hair has become something like a substitute mommy, just the sight of it down has him purring and kneading in anticipation of getting all tangled up in it. DH is jealous he doesn't have the same incentive for kitten cuddles. Fievel's been sick for most of the time we've had him, so we haven't gotten a good chance to see his personality, but in the shelter he was very playful and active, so hopefully he will be a good fit for Lola. I'm crossing my fingers he won't be as needy as Lola though, I don't think the prima donna wants to share her spotlight *all* of the time.

Enough gabbing and on to the kitten

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are both so gorgeous! Kudos to you for rescueing! When we first brought Tonks home, and we've only had her for a month, she got sick like that too. Sneezing alot, and she sounded conjested. Vet gave her antibiotics and said it was probably an URI that she brought from the shelter and that it was very common. Who know what goes around at the shelters. He's a beautiful baby, congratulations on him!

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
very cute little guy, just remember getting a cat out of shelter is like sending a kid to daycare.. every bug and germ is having a party..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts