Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CFA Agility

I just saw this and my jaw dropped, lol. My dog does Agility but I NEVER thought they had it for cats... Has anyone here ever heard or done this with there cat?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm not sure how they'd do in agility, but when it comes to flexiblity, my two raggies would at minimum win a ribbon. I swear they have skeletons made of rubber bands and jello.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
When we went to Meet the Breeds (a yearly dog and cat exhibit), they had courses for cats and dogs. It's a cute event for cats that can handle the lights, noise, being fed in public, and are social enough to interact with spectators and tolearte a lot of handling. My cats would just look at me with the "are you stupid...you want me to do what? Please take me home!" face.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When we went to Meet the Breeds (a yearly dog and cat exhibit), they had courses for cats and dogs. It's a cute event for cats that can handle the lights, noise, being fed in public, and are social enough to interact with spectators and tolearte a lot of handling. My cats would just look at me with the "are you stupid...you want me to do what? Please take me home!" face.
LOL my cats were 2 of those cats at MTB last year.
It IS a v ery intense event. People kept basically saying the same thing you did, that they could not believe all these cats being so tolerant of crowds, getting petted by thousands of kids and getting their picture taken with people, etc.... but it's pretty much all veteran show cats.
We had 5 cats in our booth and could have used more. We just rotated which cats were out on the tables and kept an eye on them for when they needed a break to go back and chill in their cage or Sturdi shelter.

I've seen Cat Agility and some cats are really amazing at it. I only tried it once but not really in a serious way. I was at a regional show and my young cat was very antsy so I took him in the Agility ring to run around. but he kept getting distracted by the crowd around it I did get him through the course but had to start over several times. I know he did not have a stellar score
You use a wand toy as a lure to get the cat to do the obstacles. I'm sure people have other training tricks they do. It's too bad it's not more popular really. I think people don't even think of training cats. but some people have managed to do quite a lot with clicker training.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts