Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Layla has a runny nose and the sneezes again. So today I took the Vet's suggestion and gave her a tiny dose of Benadryl in a syringe of water, erring on the side of caution. The good thing is her runny nose dried up and she quit sneezing within a few hours! The bad thing is she slept most of the day and will now be a little terror tonight!

Off and on for the past several months, she's been getting these symptoms. She had a round of antibiotics in February that did little good. I had concluded she was going to be one those unlucky cats that have active symptoms of URI all her life rather than carrying the virus dormant. The symptoms have always been very mild in her but bad enough to make her feel bad and sleep more than normal. I never thought about allergies.

The standard dosage of Benadryl is between 1 and 3 mg for every 1 lb. of your cat's body weight. I saw it's actually being sold on 1800Petmeds for dogs and cats but the strength is the same as what they sell for humans. Only benefit being that one comes in a micro size at 25 mg. I gave Layla a very, very tiny dose and it put her out like a light and she's 6 lbs. Also, it must be extremely bitter because she foamed and spit all over. I'd be afraid to give her as high as 18mg!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, it works better if I take the benadryl. It puts me out like a light too. They can skid across my face, bat my eyeballs out of my head and bite off one of my toes and it won't wake me up after a couple of benadryl plus my sinuses clear up too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts