Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat allergies

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  larsan 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

Not sure if I’m posting in the right thread but I need advice. In October, we found a kitten outside of our house wondering. When we found her she was severely infested with fleas so we took her in and tried to take care of her to the best of our abilities. We end up finding out it was one of the kittens from our neighbor’s cat. Our neighbor let us have her, but we weren’t really trying to give her back because of the condition we found her in. Fast forward we took us to the vet so should could get checked. She was overall fine and we got her vaccinated along with meds for her ears and fleas. I am not sure of the exact timeline I know problems occurred after we brought her in the home, but our cat started to develop sores on her stomach and the back of the legs. We were concerned because she was constantly licking at it which seemed to make it worse. When we shared this with the vet, she believed the cat had an allergy and something to due with her immune system due to redness around her mouth. She told us to give the cat Benadryl. This has been a long battle. We have tried every method to give the cat Benadryl and the only possible way is to force it to her which ends up in one of us getting hurt. Also, I personally feel like the Benadryl doesn’t do much considering she still licks after we’ve given it to her. We are incredibly frustrated because our vet keeps telling us to give her Benadryl and nothing more and we feel like our cat is suffering. Her stomach is literally raw and we had to put a cone on her to stop the licking but she still manages to lick the sores. If someone could give us any advice at all I would really appreciate it. We just want our cat to be healthy and live a normal life that doesn’t including constantly licking and scratching. I’m going to attach some photos of her stomach.

The first pictures are the now and the last two are the ones when we first found her. Yes she sleeps in weird positions sometimes lol.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ouch!! those lesions look nasty, poor kitty! If you've been trying with this Benedryl for quite a while (say a month) and nothing is happening or getting worse, I would take her to another vet. It may not be allergies but somethng else.

#3 ·
I have heard that anxiety can cause a cat to overgroom to the point of balding patches. You did mention bringing in another cat and then seeing this problem develop. I'd consider what to do to alleviate any unhappiness with your old cat. Those pherome sprays are said to be helpful.

#4 ·
We have a cat with allergies....to what we never decided 100%. He was 9 months old when it started and we even took him to a feline dermatologist who tested him and started him on allergin shots. Fast forward through years and years of trial and error. He is now 11 and still has the problem although less often. I agree with the possible stress factor. Our guy has been narrowed down to food and overall stress. His lesions heal and hair grows back only after administering a shot of Depo-Medrol which carries it’s own risks and can be gotten only from a vet. We had to switch vets several times to get a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.