Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :)

Not sure if anyone around here still remembers me, I've been MIA for awhile.

I came over to ask all of you if you have any suggestions for me, to reduce cat dander in my house. My mom is about to come stay with us quite a lot, since I'm about to have another (human) baby and she is allergic to Stormy.

Most of our house is carpeted and we try to vacuum really well before she comes to stay. I also try to keep Stormy brushed. We have an air purifier. My mom doubles her allergy medication and has tried using some kind of stuff you put inside your nose that is supposed to "trap" the dander. All of this helps but she randomly seems to get "exposed" and then will have horribly itchy eyes.

I have been looking at something called Allerpet on amazon which you wipe your cat down with to reduce the dander. Has anyone tried this? I think it might be tough to get onto Stormy since she has such long fur, but maybe it's worth a shot. Any other tips or ideas?

·
Registered
263 Posts
We have allerigies, asthma and cats all in the same house. The humans take allergy meds & clean extra as you've described and the cats get baths. I know for some it is a bit controversial to wash cats as often as we do - every 2 weeks on average - with a gentle cat specific emollient shampoo but it makes a huge differnce in quality of life for everyone and quite honestly it's easier and gentler on the cats to be washed frequently - they are accutomed and there isn't a single huge panicky hair loss issue. Added bonus it has slowly brought my dh around and helped him become more of a cat person - somehow not having burny itchy eyes and cat fur on his pillow makes him like the cats better - go figure. Anyway is there is anyway to manage it I suggest bath for the kitty - the wipes are supposed to be good in between but for me & mine the baths are easier ( i put a washcloth in the washtub for kitty security and use a hand held sprayer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Air purifiers basically wiped the problem away for my gf. Do you have one in each room or just one room? Because most are not rated for multiple rooms. I got some cheap ones for the bedroom/other room and a better one in the living room.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use Allerpet on my long haired cat, it may not be quite as effective as it would be really rubbing it in on a short hair cat, but I notice a difference. If my husband or I start getting sniffly/itchy, I rub her down and immediately its easier to be around her. He's the allergic one, but even I get affected sometimes, considering she sleeps on my face at night. I also use this:

Amazon.com: Allersearch ADMS Anti-Allergen Dust Mite Spray (32 oz.): Home & Garden

It's supposed to kill a huge range of allergens, not just pet dander. You spray it on carpets, couches, curtains, etc. then vacuum them. We also have a vacuum with a HEPA filter in it. I vacuum everything fabric regularly, not just the carpets. When I had a friend stay with me who was very allergic, we locked Lola out of the room she would be sleeping in for several days beforehand, and had an air purifier running in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts