Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can’t post for some reason in the health category. My cat is 16 and having issues eating dry food. We switched to wet food a few months ago and he is eating better, but he will not stop begging for it at all hours of the day. He also starts meowing as early as 5:30 AM and waking up my entire family relentlessly. Any suggestions? Is there a semi dry food I can keep our? He doesn’t over eat. We also just kept our a big bowl of dry food when going away.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
This happens often when a cat is switched from dry food to wet canned food....it's like "Wow! look what have I been missing all along!" Some breeds, especially Devon Rex, are known to be "food hounds" like mine are and it's really genetics with them. I think they would eat all day if I let them! Tho I've never tried that experiment. So they get fed a good meal morning and evening (Performatrin canned), and a snack meal at noon and late evening (a little Fancy Feast with a little kibbble or freeze-dried nuggets) before I go to bed. Any begging is ignored the rest of the time.

As far as your cat waking everyone up at 5:30 AM.....I would confine him to a room or basement with litter pan/water, cat basket or carrier for sleeping as far away from the bedrooms as possible....give him a wee snack in his sleeping place before your bedtime, and ignore any of his meowing. Use ear plugs if you need too. Everyone needs a good night's sleep! Good luck! and hope some of these suggestions will work for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just learned older cats can develop a symtom of overactive eating when they have a hyperthyroid issue which is a big cat issue anyway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hyperthyroid will cause a cat to be hungry all the time. When my 18 year old tabby was on wet food, he was constantly hungry. I fed him 4-5 times a day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts