Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are expecting a baby girl any day now. Our cat (3-year-old male) is extremely cuddly and affectionate, and also a little bitey (usually when overstimulated, but sometimes it seems completely random). We're a little nervous that he may get jealous/confused/overwhelmed by his new human companion and try to bite her. We're also a little concerned that he may try to sneak into the bassinet with her (very friendly, but not so great for baby..) We'll obviously keep a very close eye on him, but it's not like we can be awake 24/7 to watch over our nocturnal cat. He sleeps on our bed every night so he'll be around the bassinet while we're sleeping. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
564 Posts
If this were my situation I would just wait and see what happens. Probably your cat won't be all that interested in the baby when in the bassinette. If it turns out he does want to get in there, you may have to shut him out of the bedroom at night unless there's a way to make it impossible for him to get in. But I would cross that bridge if I came to it if I were you.

As for a cat and a young child or toddler.....unless the cat is downright vicious (in which case, you need to get a cat trainer to help you and change that, but the cat doesn't sound like that) the cat will provide the best training for the kid. My parents just let me be with the cat once I reached maybe a year and a half or so. If I pulled the cat's tail, I got scratched. I learned not to, and the scratch didn't really hurt me, just a bandaid. I was told to respect the cat...and all animals...and to treat him and the other animals only with gentleness. They watched me at first, and if I were about to grab, they'd say "gentle, gentle" and demonstrate how to pet a cat.

I learned. And the cat, a big rough tomcat, and I got along famously. Don't make the mistake of over-protecting your child, once they are no longer an infant and can start to learn, because that may make the kid afraid of the cat or of animals.

Finally, but very importantly, you can tone down this behavior before the child is born. You say he gets bitey when he is overstimulated. If this is from your playing with him, do not play with him in that manner. Don't let him get to the point of being overstimulated. Never, ever play with him with your hands. Only with a toy such as something pulled on a string. And make sure you allow him to catch the toy so it is satisfying to him. And pay close attention to what has been happening just before he gets bitey. It is never random. there is always a reason or a cause; you only think it is random because you don't know the cause of it. Observation will tell you that, and then you can avoid those things.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
If I were in your situation, because you say your 3 yr. old ale cat is "a little bitey (usually when overstimulated, but sometimes it seems completely random"). I would not take the chance he may bite or trust him. From now on I would not let him in your bedroom while you are sleeping so gets used to that. After your baby is born only let the cat near when you have complete attention with your little baby girl in your arms/lap. Cat bites and scratches can infect and I certainly wouldn't want that to happen it were my baby. To prevent any jealousy from your cat, when baby is in your arms/lap throw a few treats or toys to him, so he comes to associate being close to baby with good things, and if he comes near give him some strokes on his head and cheeks, and tell him he's a "good boy!". But if his eyes dilate and his tail starts twitching hard and stares at you or the baby he is giving signals of an attack. Throw a toy/treat away from you, stand up and remove yourself to another room and close the door. When you don't have the baby with you, play with him for a while and give a treat at end of play session. Hopefully your husband can do the major work of keeping your cat entertained. All the very best! and hope you'll give us an update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts