Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my cats go out on the balconey, and there is a bird feeder there...i was in the living room and in walks my black female bombay, with a live sparrow in its mouth...i got her out on the balconey, sparrow still looks alive and still in her mouth...my siamese gets close to her, she gets very angry....what should i do???

its now looks like the bird is dead...and the bombay just layed it on the balconey, its not moving....i just hate to see animals die

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
my cat was playing with the bird, health wise, the bird was done for...i took the bird and broke its neck...the bird would not live, and i could not see the cat torturing it anymore...sad i had to do this, but i could not think of anything eles to do but end its life immediately...i was sadden, hate to kill any type animal...it was a young bird, but cats will play with there prey..,,i was surprised he could get it...

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm sorry it happened to the bird but I'm glad you put the poor thing out of its misery... My cats have never caught more than a bug so I'm not really sure what to tell you...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the young bird much have landed on the balconey floor...my cat will lay there for hours, just waiting for something like this...probably will not be the last time this will happen..the black female bombay i have is a hunter, and i am sure she could survive outside...she climbed a tree one night when i had her on a lease, and bird feathers flying..the bird did get away....she must have been a stray for some time...my siamese would not last a day outside, half blind..the first cyote that would come along would have him for supper

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think my cat Tugs could hunt... Binky is too scared of anything to even attack it, let alone actually kill it... and Bear, well, every time he pounces he has to spend a good minute waggling his butt first, so he's probably starve!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does your cat have a collar with a bell?

Im not speaking from experience here, by the way, but I've read online that some cat collars have bells so they can warn small prey of a cat's movements, and then the prey can escape.

·
Registered
239 Posts
cat's will be cat's - personally I do not agree with putting a bell on a cat's collar, cat's have very sensitive ear's & they move around silently so it just seem's a lil cruel to add a bell so that every move they make is noisy & irritating to the cat's ear's :-(

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i have a bird feeder on the balcony,,,i might move it...its about 3 ft above the balcony edge, but the cat will sit under it...not real sure how he caught it,,,but i still think the bird landed on the balconey floor......i have read cats will bring home prey still alive like mine,.....one theory is that that a cat like mine that trys so hard to catch something, and finally does, it wants to prolong the hanging , sort of like a prize to him or as in this one, her..so she prolongs it ....i could not stand seeing the live bird there, and my cat pawing at it to see if it moved...so i ended the act fast....to see the life go out of the bird , i still don,t feel good about it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
might be a way to look at it, its not nice to see one of gods creatures die, but god created the cat to do this...
i did have a bell on her, but took it off...the cat seem lot happier now

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'd move the feeder :{

It's unfortunate, but having it there only increases the chance that your cats will get a hold of another bird eventually.

Even my very well-fed cat will occasionally find mice in our garage/backyard. She often takes a while to kill them. She definitely does keep it alive, seemingly on purpose, to "play" with it. I know it's their natural behavior, but I don't think the mouse needs to go through that kind of suffering and pain before it finally dies.

So, if I catch my cat with a mouse or bird, I take it away immediately and kill it as humanely as I can. My cat is usually pretty angry when I take her prey, so I feed her a little bit of food to distract her as soon as I take the creature from her.

If you have to kill a creature that your cat catches and mortally wounds but does not kill, it is best to think of it this way: you are ending its pain and suffering quickly. You cannot blame the cat for torturing prey (it doesn't know it's being cruel), but you can stop the torture early.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts