Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cat (2.5 years) and kitten (4 months) are still fighting when they are together. We let the kitten (Luna) walk freely around the house when we are home, but they keep chasing and hitting each other. The cat (Chanou) still hisses and growls at Luna. After a few hours they get tired and both find a place to sleep a bit, but soon it starts all over again.
Also, Luna get really agressive towards me. Sometimes she just attacks me, and bites me really hard (you know, with her ears in her neck and stuff). Only way to have her stop is to pick her up in the neck and put her in her room, otherwise she keeps doing this. I try to firmly say NO each time when I take her away but it doesn't help. Any hints, someone? Please? I'm slowly loosing my patience with all this...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wish I had some brilliant easy answer.

Cat relationships are so complicated and they may just never get along. Things you can do to help the situation: play w/ both of them together, engage them in new pleasurable activities they can associate w/ each other, Feliway! (it really works for some cats), keep their nails trimmed to prevent fights from escalating, make sure Chanou feels just as loved as before (don't let little Luna steal the show), help him/her see all the new perks of having Luna in the home.

Luna sounds like she is going through that wild kitten phase. If you don't stop the behavior now (the biting, attacking), she might continue to do it when she's bigger and the consequences for you are more dangerous. She is likely partly displacing her aggression and frustration over Chanou onto you. When you say no, tap her lightly on her nose at the same time (NOT hard). This is similar to what her mother might do when she gets out of hand. Stay calm to keep her from picking up your negative, frustrated energy. Then, I would try pulling out a toy when she attacks you, show her what you would PREFER she attack, and then praise her madly, ridiculously when she instead goes after the string/mouse/feather/toy-of-choice. I have done this w/ the kittens I've raised w/ good success. They never bite me except extremely gently.

Make sure you don't play aggressively w/ her using your hand. Some people try to wrestle w/ cats like dogs or poke or tickle them. Keep your fingers out of sight, don't let her associate them w/ playtime. Explore why Luna may be aggressive towards you. Think about whether you may doing anything unintentionally that may be making her feel threatened.

Also, try to have plenty of places they can get away from each other when desired. Cat trees, open cat carriers, empty closet shelves.

By they way, your kitten has the most wonderful name! :wink:

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have had littermates react to each other in this manner. :? The only way it could be stopped was to rehome some of them. It is a rare occasion that you would have this happening. I do not know what to tell you to do, all I can say is that this is a deep-seated personality trait of your older cat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh! I forgot to mention something my vet recommended. She said a lot of the tension comes from the unfamiliar smell of the other cat. She suggested that I spray each member of the dueling duo with the same cologne or perfume (not in their eyes of course). I haven't tried this yet but thought it was an interesting suggestion. Does anyone else have experience w/ this method?

I guess dabbing them w/ some nature-scented oil like lavendar might be more pleasant for them than human perfume. You'd probably have to put it on the back of their heads too, where it's harder to lick off.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I read in a simular post to this one that you should take a towel out of the closet and rub them both with the same towel. This will put the same smell on both of them and also the smell of the house.

I wonder if giveing them a bath would do the same thing?

They should come around eventually.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have learned this trick from Jeanie and I had to use it recently for my own two kitties : I rubbed a few drops of vanilla on the back of both kitties neck's- it worked perfectly for them/me. They smell like cookies now

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the hints lunamystique! Where does your nick come from? :)

Feliway doesn't work well here. Luna doesn't care but as soon as I rub it on Chanou, she licks it all off.
Trimming nails would be a good idea tho. I will try that with Luna soon. Again, Chanou will be the hard one, because she hates it when you touch her legs.
And about the biting.. it really hurts when she does it, and it happens when I just sit there doing nothing at all! It's hard not to get mad at her, but I do the best I can... She has a couple of toys she likes, so maybe I should keep them near me at all times :)
Oh and they have the whole house to get away from each other. Chanou does that: she runs away to another room when she wants to be alone. But Luna runs right after her of course :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure where it came from! I thought it up because I'm a night owl and like words that end in "ique."

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
luna means moon in Romanian also. Approx 60% of the Romanian language is of Latin origin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... Our little moon, eh, Luna has found a new hobby: chewing on the chistmastree, and trying to knock the balls out of it. Very fun... Sometimes I think she does that just to annoy us!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts